Reading the Bible: most things have 1, 2, or 3 different meanings.

04ctd

Example: “It is finished!”

John 19:30
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

When I taught youth group, we used this method to get them to open their eyes about OT and NT verses, as they usually have several meanings:

-spiritual (Jesus’ spiritual warfare with his physical body was finished- the prayers in the garden)
-physical (Jesus’ physical walk was finished)
-emotional (Jesus’ emotional strain while in the flesh was finished)

Here are some other areas that may not apply above, but can used to provoke seeking deeper meaning:
-health
-wealth/financially
-personally/small group/congregation/community/nation/world
-mentally
-this life (earth)
-eternal life (spiritual)
-flesh (carnal)
-spiritual (scriptural)
You can add to this list if you can think of any, pass them along.

Here’s another verse, you can pray over this and imagine dozens of ways we would “follow him:”
Luke 5:27
After these things He went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax office. And He said to him, “Follow Me.”

A good allusion to hard work, sweat, stamina, staying the faith and “running the race”:
Luke 9:62
But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”

and the verse which led me to start looking for multiple meanings:
Matthew 15:26-28
26 But He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the little dogs.”
27 And she said, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”
28 Then Jesus answered and said to her, “O woman, great is your faith! Let it be to you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

The long winded analysis of the above verse is at this link:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=4&contentID=1610&commInfo=5&topic=Matthew

The other thing I taught was:

-empathy: how did they feel?
-placement: place yourself in the shoes of the central character
-replacement: re-read it, and place yourself in the shoes of EVERY character in the text.
-what is NOT said…..imagine the dirt on their faces, the heat of the day, the long hours walking.

Here’s a good verse for the above:

Luke 9:60
Jesus said to him, “Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God.”

-empathy: would you want to bury your Dad to show your love & respect? how would your mom feel if you did not?
-placement: would you want to bury your Dad, or follow Jesus?
-replacement: if you were Jesus, why not let him bury his Dad? What would onlookers have thought of Jesus?
Would the son have been right to go bury his Dad, or should he have followed Jesus away?
What would you have done?
-what is not said: how had the Dad treated this son? How did Jesus know the Dad and the whole family was “spiritually Dead” but the son was not “spiritually Dead” and could be used to further the kingdom?

Artfuldodger

Good topic. some people only look at the Bible verses/stories as having a literal meaning or just one meaning. I see it as you described.
It's like art, music, and literature. We can get a lot out of it the more we put into it.
But then again we might go overboard and make a verse/story out to be something it was never intended to say.

I've heard the story of Noah's Ark pertaining to Jesus as in this link.

http://biblestudyplanet.com/s36.htm

rjcruiser

Context is King.

04ctd

random quotes that follow my line of thinking...remember, these are out of context...

Again, remember that the Gospel is not one dimensional......You're only visiting one part of the Gospel.

Those that have an ear let them hear....that doesn't mean a physical ear!

Theres 3 different elements of faiths spoken of in the bible. In this particular verse.
The first element of saving faith is noticia or knowledge,
The second element of saving faith is assensus, or assent.
The third element of saving faith is fiducia, or trust.

Matthew 13:3
Then He spoke many things to them in parables, saying: “Behold, a sower went out to sow.

Luke 8:10
And He said, “To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that ‘Seeing they may not see, And hearing they may not understand.’

Matthew 13:34-36
34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them, 35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:
“I will open My mouth in parables;
I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world.”
36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.”

Hebrews 4:2
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.

Artfuldodger

I have asked before about the "mysteries of the Kingdom of God" and the "secrets from the foundation of the world" and was told there isn't any.

Hebrews 4:2 They haven't been given their measure of faith or haven't developed enough faith to believe. The Gospel does have a different meaning or more meaning to a believer. It would have some meaning to a lost person otherwise what would be the point of spreading the Word.
Milk to the lost and meat to the believers with faith.

jmharris23

Context is king :D

04ctd

I saw this in my morning reading, the OT is interesting....

Jonah 2:5
The waters surrounded me, even to my soul; The deep closed around me; Weeds were wrapped around my head.

Mark 15:17
And they clothed Him with purple; and they twisted a crown of thorns, put it on His head,

Matthew 16:4
A wicked and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.” And He left them and departed.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

Context is important, the Holy Spirit in you is king though, as he is the very thing Christ wanted us to have to guide us into all the truth! It's pretty hard to go wrong when you have the Spirit and the written canon guiding you, if indeed you do!

John 16
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

gordon 2

Context is important, the Holy Spirit in you is king though, as he is the very thing Christ wanted us to have to guide us into all the truth! It's pretty hard to go wrong when you have the Spirit and the written canon guiding you, if indeed you do!

John 16
12 “I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14 He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

My dear brother. Many times my ears did not hear His voice so near...I heard a brother's wisper instead, or the sounds of my prayers or I heard a sound that had no subject, no verb, not compliments... My eyes not seeing the things pointed to: For trees and shrubs I see, Like a friend pointing to a deer you cannot see, His devine landscapes and seascapes obcured.

It would not be amiss to say that I have at times spiritual ADD, or impatience, or I can't hold myself still long enough to see in the grips of the Holy Spirit, a fraction of the love in you let alone in our Saint.

And not to mention the Holy Spirit reading for me, as a parent reads to a child...and I after only two words sometimes, I faint in awe and quickly fatigue...and must fall to sleep not knowing where He set foot while my soul recovered.

Last edited:

Bama4me

The Holy Spirit guides you through the word - stay with what is written, not by what people say the Spirit leads them to know through direct guidance. When one person claims the Spirit leads them and is "led" to a totally different idea than someone else who claims the exact same "guidance", who will you believe? The written word will be all the guidance one needs, unless 2 Peter 1:3 is untrue.

gordon 2

The Holy Spirit guides you through the word - stay with what is written, not by what people say the Spirit leads them to know through direct guidance. When one person claims the Spirit leads them and is "led" to a totally different idea than someone else who claims the exact same "guidance", who will you believe? The written word will be all the guidance one needs, unless 2 Peter 1:3 is untrue.

Perhaps we have to rethink these ideas with a regenerated mind, or the mind of Christ, or from what we have learned by it or from the culture of the Kingdom...

It could perhaps be said like this: " My best understanding is from my best regenerated mind so far. And as a christian what is genuine in my desire to understand is to understand with the mind of my Lord, as opposed to mine. Or in simpler words what is God trying to tell me, as opposed to what I'm trying to tell myself about what God is trying to tell me.

Or something like that.... Or this, the regenerated mind/heart makes wisdom what is foolishness to the unregenerated mind/heart. For the wisdom and insight of the sinless mind and its awesome love we should get to the essential of meanings and sense that which is in contradiction is not of the mind of our Lord.

Perhaps.

Last edited:

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Perhaps we have to rethink these ideas with a regenerated mind, or the mind of Christ, or from what we have learned by it or from the culture of the Kingdom...

It could perhaps be said like this: " My best understanding is from my best regenerated mind so far. And as a christian what is genuine in my desire to understand is to understand with the mind of my Lord, as opposed to mine. Or in simpler words what is God trying to tell me, as opposed to what I'm trying to tell myself about what God is trying to tell me.

Or something like that.... Or this, the regenerated mind/heart makes wisdom what is foolishness to the unregenerated mind/heart. For the wisdom and insight of the sinless mind and its awesome love we should get to the essential of meanings and sense that which is in contradiction is not of the mind of our Lord.

Perhaps.

Makes sense to me.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Makes sense to me.

Me too.

Those who are lead by the Spirit are the sons of God. Yet it takes a while of 'mind renewal' for the Spirit's leading to be truly heard, rather what we think or want to hear. The Word of God or the written word as we know it is always a solid guide to test what you hear and is in itself a gift from the Father. Yet there were men in the days of Christ who knew the Word but didn't know Jesus and in fact killed Him. One must always examine himself in Christ. But "My sheep know My voice"!

gordon 2

Me too.

Those who are lead by the Spirit are the sons of God. Yet it takes a while of 'mind renewal' for the Spirit's leading to be truly heard, rather what we think or want to hear. The Word of God or the written word as we know it is always a solid guide to test what you hear and is in itself a gift from the Father. Yet there were men in the days of Christ who knew the Word but didn't know Jesus and in fact killed Him. One must always examine himself in Christ. But "My sheep know My voice"!

yep... Me too.:)

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
It's always good to get everything from a verse that's available.
I believe the words of the Gospel to be precisely written and it means exactly what it says, and it doesn't means what it doesn't exactly say.
There are no codes and there are no meanings that have been hidden for centuries so that I can be the one who "suddenly" finds this understanding no one has ever had.

It is the author (Holy Spirit) who decided the intent and meaning of each verse. It's so easy to make a verse of scripture say what it does not say.

Every verse in God's word only says what it intended to say (what's there for the reading).

God's word should always be prayerfully read and studied. Free from forethought. Free from preconceived notions of what I want it to say. It says what it says.

gordon 2

It's always good to get everything from a verse that's available.
I believe the words of the Gospel to be precisely written and it means exactly what it says, and it doesn't means what it doesn't exactly say.
There are no codes and there are no meanings that have been hidden for centuries so that I can be the one who "suddenly" finds this understanding no one has ever had.

It is the author (Holy Spirit) who decided the intent and meaning of each verse. It's so easy to make a verse of scripture say what it does not say

Every verse in God's word only says what it intended to say (what's there for the reading).

God's word should always be prayerfully read and studied. Free from forethought. Free from preconceived notions of what I want it to say. It says what it says.

Yes exactly... which is why I love parables and the poetic books in scripture....

Bama4me

Will say this about this topic... the BEST commentary on the bible IS the bible. When you read any verse and want to know what it truly means, the best way is to see other places in Scripture where that same idea/word/phrase is used. That, along with the importance of "context" (who, when, what, why) is essential to understanding the bible.

Israel

BANNED
Men of the world use language to convey ideas, therefore a "word" means something to represent that idea...it is, in every form and way, at best, derivative...removed. Words "stand" for something else.
God however speaks of his substance...his word and he cannot be separated. It is not only that he is as good as his word, he is invested in it.
We are leaving the land of abstractions, for the real.