Anyone read the book of Nahum and Habakkuk?

1222DANO

I was reading the book of Nahum last night. the fear of God is there. I'm reading Habakkuk tonight hopefully.. its some of the most fearful books i have read. I know its old testament but still gives a good reference on Gods vengeance. I gives me very good reason to be a God fearing soul. i hope to finish reading the whole book its been a life long goal i want to accomplish...

Last edited:

kmh1031

Sorry, been working….! Since your initial post, I wanted to do some research for you on the two books you are reading and thus took a little time to do this to aid in your Bible reading..I am now researching some information for you on Habakkuk as well…

Yes you are right, these are truly “scary” books of the bible, but show God’s justice, and vengeance on ungodly men/kingdoms.
Nahum is a book that shows God’s prophetic “pronouncement against Nineveh,” the capital of the Assyrian Empire. This Bible book was written by Nahum the Elkoshite. (Na 1:1) The historical fulfillment of that prophetic pronouncement testifies to the authenticity of the book. Sometime after the Egyptian city of No-amon (Thebes) suffered humiliating defeat in the seventh century B.C.E. (3:8-10), the book of Nahum was committed to writing, being completed before Nineveh’s foretold destruction came in 632 B.C.E.—

The book of Nahum agrees fully with the rest of the Scriptures in describing God as one as “a God exacting exclusive devotion,” “slow to anger and great in power,” but by no means withholding punishment. (Na 1:2, 3; compare Ex 20:5; 34:6, 7; Job 9:4; Ps 62:11.) “God is good, a stronghold in the day of distress. And he is cognizant of those seeking refuge in him.” (Na 1:7; compare Ps 25:8; 46:1; Isa 25:4; Mt 19:17.) These qualities are clearly manifest in his delivering the Israelites from Assyrian oppression and executing vengeance against bloodguilty Nineveh.
Noteworthy, too, are the similarities between Nahum chapter 1 and Psalm 97. The words of Isaiah (10:24-27; 30:27-33) regarding Gods judgment against Assyria parallel, to an extent, as you might want to read Nahum chapters 2 and 3

Although assured that the conspiracy of Syrian King Rezin and Israelite King Pekah would fail in the attempt to depose him as king (Isa 7:3-7), faithless Ahaz of Judah unwisely appealed to Assyrian King Tiglath-pileser III (Tilgath-pilneser) for aid. Eventually this move “caused him distress, and did not strengthen him,” for Judah came under the heavy yoke of Assyria. (2Ch 28:20, 21) Later, Ahaz’ son and successor to the throne, Hezekiah, rebelled against Assyrian dominance. (2Ki 18:7) Thereafter the Assyrian monarch Sennacherib invaded Judah and seized one fortified city after another, this resulting in extensive desolation of the land. (Compare Isa 7:20, 23-25; 8:6-8; 36:1, 2.) The next Judean king, Manasseh, was captured by Assyrian army chiefs and taken to Babylon (then under Assyrian control).
Since Judah had thus suffered long under the heavy hand of Assyria, Nahum’s prophecy regarding Nineveh’s imminent destruction was good news.

As if Assyria had already experienced it downfall, Nahum wrote: Nahum wrote: “Look! Upon the mountains the feet of one bringing good news, one publishing peace. O Judah, celebrate your festivals. Pay your vows; because no more will any good-for-nothing person pass again through you. In his entirety he will certainly be cut off.” (Na 1:15)

No longer would there be any interference from the Assyrians; nothing would hinder the Judeans from attending or celebrating the festivals. The deliverance from the Assyrian oppressor would be complete. (Compare Na 1:9.) Also, all other peoples hearing about Nineveh’s destruction would “clap their hands,” or rejoice, over her calamity, for the city’s badness had brought much suffering to them.—3:19.
The military aggressiveness of the Assyrians made Nineveh a “city of bloodshed.” (Na 3:1) Cruel and inhuman was the treatment meted out to captives of her wars. Some were burned or skinned alive.
Others were blinded or had their noses, ears, or fingers cut off. Frequently, captives were led by cords attached to hooks that pierced the nose or lips. Truly Nineveh deserved to be destroyed for her bloodguiltiness.

1222DANO

Not to praise you but that amazing you have the ability to draw such an conclusion. My conclusion are just simple and maybe lack the words. i enjoyed it.. thanks

kmh1031

Nahum and Habakkuk

Well I appreciate it, and respect your comments, glad it was helpful.

I have done much research over the years regarding the bible, and have at my fingertips, numerous research books, various bibles as well as encyclopedias...that I try to pull information (quality/truthful) from as much as possible.

For, I used to not believe in the bible very much, or God, based on world conditions, the many false religions, and teachings being touted, not to mention the religious leaders that give God/Christianity a bad name!

So I decided to dig into it myself and believe or not believe...

So, not all me by any means...but I appreciate your liking it.

Well I appreciate it, and respect your comments, glad it was helpful.

I have done much research over the years regarding the bible, and have at my fingertips, numerous research books, various bibles as well as encyclopedias...that I try to pull information (quality/truthful) from as much as possible.

For, I used to not believe in the bible very much, or God, based on world conditions, the many false religions, and teachings being touted, not to mention the religious leaders that give God/Christianity a bad name!

So I decided to dig into it myself and believe or not believe...

So, not all me by any means...but I appreciate your liking it.

Thank you for sharing your testimony, K. Was it books like this that convinced you, or what exactly? (Not to set you up for more comment from the camp that insists salvation = predestination alone, excluding "free will" because of our total depravity in our living death in enmity toward God prior to our salvation.)

Also, can you briefly summarize your method of interpreting the books mentioned in the OP, and apply them to our condition today? Thanks again.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Sorry, been working….! Since your initial post, I wanted to do some research for you on the two books you are reading and thus took a little time to do this to aid in your Bible reading..I am now researching some information for you on Habakkuk as well…

Yes you are right, these are truly “scary” books of the bible, but show God’s justice, and vengeance on ungodly men/kingdoms.
Nahum is a book that shows God’s prophetic “pronouncement against Nineveh,” the capital of the Assyrian Empire. This Bible book was written by Nahum the Elkoshite. (Na 1:1) The historical fulfillment of that prophetic pronouncement testifies to the authenticity of the book. Sometime after the Egyptian city of No-amon (Thebes) suffered humiliating defeat in the seventh century B.C.E. (3:8-10), the book of Nahum was committed to writing, being completed before Nineveh’s foretold destruction came in 632 B.C.E.—

The book of Nahum agrees fully with the rest of the Scriptures in describing God as one as “a God exacting exclusive devotion,” “slow to anger and great in power,” but by no means withholding punishment. (Na 1:2, 3; compare Ex 20:5; 34:6, 7; Job 9:4; Ps 62:11.) “God is good, a stronghold in the day of distress. And he is cognizant of those seeking refuge in him.” (Na 1:7; compare Ps 25:8; 46:1; Isa 25:4; Mt 19:17.) These qualities are clearly manifest in his delivering the Israelites from Assyrian oppression and executing vengeance against bloodguilty Nineveh.
Noteworthy, too, are the similarities between Nahum chapter 1 and Psalm 97. The words of Isaiah (10:24-27; 30:27-33) regarding Gods judgment against Assyria parallel, to an extent, as you might want to read Nahum chapters 2 and 3
Although assured that the conspiracy of Syrian King Rezin and Israelite King Pekah would fail in the attempt to depose him as king (Isa 7:3-7), faithless Ahaz of Judah unwisely appealed to Assyrian King Tiglath-pileser III (Tilgath-pilneser) for aid. Eventually this move “caused him distress, and did not strengthen him,” for Judah came under the heavy yoke of Assyria. (2Ch 28:20, 21) Later, Ahaz’ son and successor to the throne, Hezekiah, rebelled against Assyrian dominance. (2Ki 18:7) Thereafter the Assyrian monarch Sennacherib invaded Judah and seized one fortified city after another, this resulting in extensive desolation of the land. (Compare Isa 7:20, 23-25; 8:6-8; 36:1, 2.) The next Judean king, Manasseh, was captured by Assyrian army chiefs and taken to Babylon (then under Assyrian control).
Since Judah had thus suffered long under the heavy hand of Assyria, Nahum’s prophecy regarding Nineveh’s imminent destruction was good news.

As if Assyria had already experienced it downfall, Nahum wrote: Nahum wrote: “Look! Upon the mountains the feet of one bringing good news, one publishing peace. O Judah, celebrate your festivals. Pay your vows; because no more will any good-for-nothing person pass again through you. In his entirety he will certainly be cut off.” (Na 1:15)

No longer would there be any interference from the Assyrians; nothing would hinder the Judeans from attending or celebrating the festivals. The deliverance from the Assyrian oppressor would be complete. (Compare Na 1:9.) Also, all other peoples hearing about Nineveh’s destruction would “clap their hands,” or rejoice, over her calamity, for the city’s badness had brought much suffering to them.—3:19.
The military aggressiveness of the Assyrians made Nineveh a “city of bloodshed.” (Na 3:1) Cruel and inhuman was the treatment meted out to captives of her wars. Some were burned or skinned alive.
Others were blinded or had their noses, ears, or fingers cut off. Frequently, captives were led by cords attached to hooks that pierced the nose or lips. Truly Nineveh deserved to be destroyed for her bloodguiltiness.

Does ANY of this look familiar???
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200003173

kmh1031

Nahum and Habakkuk

Well, let me give it a shot, in readers digest form.
My mom was Baptist, and my Dad did not go except on a few days a month, although he was very religious.

Others in my family were Methodist, 7 day Adventist, and a few more and a couple agnostics. As you would imagine, when they all got together, guess what came up...

I would hear what is happening in their church, the preacher, dishonestly, meddling in politics, immorality among some of its members yet still in good standing, and more...yet they kept going...

After a while, that turned me off....and I was fed up with religion, the bible and maybe even God. In addition, I also was unsure as to why a god of love would allow all the suffering in the world, problems, and wars, many over religion, not to mention a burning - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -, babies dying, and more.

I said to myself you just haven’t found it.., so I started looking on my own, as I never heard a good answer, from the bible for any of these questions.

My mom always read the bible to me from an early age and always told me that there was a true religion according to the bible, as there was in Jesus day and she was basically still looking for it as I am.

As previously mentioned, I never believed in - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH - early on as a God of love I did not think would do that to his own children.
I also have had a problem with death, and have been seeking answers to why we die, and really what happens to us…as the scriptures tell a different story than what I was taught, and have heard taught.

It was put to me one time, you go buy a gas grill, throw the instructions away, and try to put the grill together...if it doesn't work, you blame the manufacturer...! Never mind that you failed to read the instruction guide...!

That is what I think is happening today in many religions...so I am trying to read and study the guide.

Thus I delved back into the bible, read newer, more accurate translations to help me get the sense of it.
I also got a Greek interlinear translation (Greek word over the English) and read slowly, and looked up the Greek meaning to some that I was unsure of.
I tried very hard to verify that what I was reading, whether it was a study aid, or a Bible that it was as close to the original writings as possible and not the teachings, of men, or just their interpretation of the scriptures or a Bible that was not a direct translation.

I talk to anyone of any religion, not in a critical way, but quite the opposite, to learn, as maybe they have the truth.

So, after all this, study, frustration, reading, etc., it started becoming a little clearer. I also have gone to numerous churches (more than just one time); yet never found one that I really thought taught the bible, principles of the bible, the truths.

I also remember Jesus's words “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:35), I rarely saw that in any of my visits...yet that was a clue Jesus gave..as a sign of the true religion.

So, still looking, I do believe in a God, and one of love, and have come to understand a lot in the past 20 years, and still learning, but yet to find the true religion that Jesus spoke of.

I have come to learn from the bible many things, that have given me clarity, and that there is a God.
Well, enough about what happened to me...I am still visiting churches and talking to people.

However, my search continues as I am reminded that God does have a people here on earth, as evidenced by the scripture at Rev 18:4:
And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if YOU do not want to share with her in her sins, and if YOU do not want to receive part of her plagues. 5 For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind.
So……still researching, and looking…

Artfuldodger

I've gone on a similar journey as you and even believe in some JW viewpoints, just a few. I've even looked at the Mormons and even the Catholics.

Related to this post and as BT Charlie asked, how does this punishment mentioned in those books and in the plagues mentioned in the Rev. Church affect us now? If we have free will does God punish us on earth or will this come later.

Also in the future please use links to cut & paste. I do a lot of cut & paste. I know some don't like it but I do try to remember to show where I got it.
Thanks for your input from someone not "mainstream." (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

kmh1031

Nahum and Habakkuk

That,
jw.org actually is a good website, and resource for research.
I found that via a magazine left in my apt door about a year ago.

Studylight.org is another, as well as
http://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/

There are a ton more out their that give clarity, have tons of research information, and at the same time, help make it more clear for the ones looking for more depth in their study..

kmh1031

Nahum and Habakkuk

Well, in answer to your questions:
1. how does this punishment mentioned in those books and in the plagues mentioned in the Rev. Church affect us now?
2. If we have free will does God punish us on earth or will this come later.

All those biblical examples are their to build our faith, show that there is a true god of the bible, one that is alive and will defend his people.
The next thing I gather from them is that they serve as an example today that he exacts exclusive devotion, and worship and does not tolerate false worship, by others or his own people.

The book of Revelation, is a deep one, yet I am wading through it. However, I do know that as with the flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, God destroyed the ungodly people, not the earth.
Thus when the end does come, that I am confident will be the case. The bible calls it as you know, Armageddon.

As far as punishment, I go back to what God said in the G of E to Adam, "eat from the tree and you will positively die"...not burn in - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -, or anything else.
However the devil said, "you positively will not die"...who do you think won that argument?

So my best guess, (still researching) is that death is the final punishment, vs anything else..as opposed to everlasting life.
How do I know that? I don't, but based on the bibles view of death, its description, that is what I have come to appreciate about this punishment.
So, as the people in biblical times, they had the option/free will to serve, or go their own way..not serving god. Many did, and we have the examples where they did not get the hope, or where they were destroyed.