Are You a Walleye Angler or Want to Be?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, they are great eating, and are addictive to fish for. They don't put up a fight like a bass or striper, but there's just something about them that gets in your blood. One of my favorite fish to catch.

In my opinion Walleye are the best eating Freshwater fish available! .. a lot of restaurants use the name Pike or Pickerel as the name for them on their menus cause Walleye is not so appetizing ... however Pike are not good eating ... Walleye are like GOLD to me!!! They are like Chilean Sea Bass ... but not as fatty ... The attached photo is one medium 6 lb Walleye .. serves three people ... GOLDEN BROWN ... White Flaky meat ... with NO blood line ... What a FISH!!!

I also cut out the Cheeks ... they are a true treasure sauteed in brown butter and garlic.

Attachments

• onewalleye.jpg
    onewalleye.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Here are some Walleye from Seed, Yonah and Tugalo ..
These are all about 6-7lbs ... one or two are under 5lbs and make great table fare .... All caught during the day ... the Monster Chain Pickerel is from Seed and the Brown from Burton. The Perch is a small one from Tugalo.

Attachments

• SeedTugaloYonah.jpg
    SeedTugaloYonah.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
nice catches Dave. Makes me wanna hit the water, but the boat isn't ready.

Yet.

HossBog

I do love to eat them rascals! I've only caught one in me long life, at Clarks Hill in South Carolina side around 1962. Drifting on bottom with minnows. But, the rascal had a fungus all over. So my Dad and I turned it in to South Carolina DNR to be checked out, and they got bavk in touch a few days later and said they had done an experimental stocking of wall eyes in Clarks Hill, but my fishes problem was caused by water being too warm. Anyway, I'd love to fish for them on purpose.

I had three Walleye chew through my line yesterday ... I normally troll but its even tougher to catch eyes in the winter so I decided to down rod some herring on 8lb test line ... and sit on a few walleye I had marked ... I was not surprised that they chewed through the 8lb ... At first I thought it was just the herring going crazy ... but every time I went to pick up the rod .... no bait or hook ... and frayed line looked like teeth ... not once but three times ... I bet a lot of you guys are catching Walleye on light tackle and coming up with blanks like I did .... I can't wait till the troll bite is on and I can get back to steel leaders and Monster Walleye!

Klag

I had three Walleye chew through my line yesterday ... I normally troll but its even tougher to catch eyes in the winter so I decided to down rod some herring on 8lb test line ... and sit on a few walleye I had marked ... I was not surprised that they chewed through the 8lb ... At first I thought it was just the herring going crazy ... but every time I went to pick up the rod .... no bait or hook ... and frayed line looked like teeth ... not once but three times ... I bet a lot of you guys are catching Walleye on light tackle and coming up with blanks like I did .... I can't wait till the troll bite is on and I can get back to steel leaders and Monster Walleye!

What lake did you try? I got into a mess of small perch at Seed a few day ago on nightcrawlers on a jig head dropped into the schools of perch. No big ones, but some mighty tasty ones!

I marked zero trout and zero walleye, just perch everywhere!

IMG_20150204_163022_316.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

That's odd, I've never in my life had a walleye chew through my line, and I've caught I guess well over a thousand of 'em. I'm not catching those long-as-your-leg ones, though, we don't have many of those here, just plenty of eating sized ones.

JJJSDAD

I would say eyes are hungry on the pre spawn meal and gobbling the bait and the line is between their teeth. Count less maybe you will ketchem or hookum. I would like to have that problem.

I have never had this happen either ... and have also bagged my number of eyes averaging 1000 per season on erie ... but have never sat fish for walleye ... only trolled ... this was a first .... the line would not move ... only vertical for a second or two ... like a nervous herring ... they kinda just mauled or chewed on the the bait never moved or took it anywhere .... I could feel them when I picked up the line they would either spit the bait or I came up empty lined ... maybe the 8lb line I was using was week leader material? or Houdini herrings? ...

I wouldn't write about it if it didn't happen three times ...

I also had very small hooks number 4 that the Walleye could have just swallowed and hit the week line with there teeth. (see attached)

I was on seed Klag and saw about 7 Walleye and worked on them for about an hour.. they would not move or get to the hook ... the perch were to small for the herring and only caught two nice spots...around the dam shoal.

Attachments

• Feb4_2015_SM.jpg
    Feb4_2015_SM.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 501
  • walleyeBite.jpg
    walleyeBite.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
@ Hillbilly, We have Plenty of 12-14 lb Walleye logs here in Georgia and South Carolina!! The 2004 GADNR Stocking of Walleye are 11 years old and are at State Record sizes and in not great but good numbers for a fisherie of this scale. There will be a number of people catching walleye this year and turning in records ... and I plan to be one of them!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I see some roof space that isn't completely covered.

that is where they sunbathe for the 5 days a year they don't have snow.

BTW, Dave... nice looking bass. I have lost a BUNCH of walleye on Burton back in the 80's by them chewing the line up. I actually found that a lighter line, either 6 or 4 lb was less likely to be cut. I guess it fit between the teeth better. A walleye doesn't fight like a bass, so if you have the drag right, you can coax them up to the boat and net them before they make a break for it on 4lb test. Now, I am not talking state record eyes, but the smaller 3 to 5 lb ones.

greg_n_clayton

that is where they sunbathe for the 5 days a year they don't have snow.

BTW, Dave... nice looking bass. I have lost a BUNCH of walleye on Burton back in the 80's by them chewing the line up. I actually found that a lighter line, either 6 or 4 lb was less likely to be cut. I guess it fit between the teeth better. A walleye doesn't fight like a bass, so if you have the drag right, you can coax them up to the boat and net them before they make a break for it on 4lb test. Now, I am not talking state record eyes, but the smaller 3 to 5 lb ones.

Come show me pappy !!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Burton is not the lake it was for walleye. They haven't stocked there in quite a few years. Better choices are Seed and Tugalo. I haven't fished Seed in years, and never on Tugalo, although I do plan on fishing it some this year.

greg_n_clayton

Burton is not the lake it was for walleye. They haven't stocked there in quite a few years. Better choices are Seed and Tugalo. I haven't fished Seed in years, and never on Tugalo, although I do plan on fishing it some this year.

Burton was also hurt years ago by a group with lights and gigs. Rabun also has them. They can be seen below seed dam during spawn time. It is sight to see by many. Folks standing on the bridge looking at them.

The GADNR stopped stocking walleye a few years ago in Burton ... the Walleye in Burton were effecting the Trout population. They have been working on eradication efforts for years ... maybe this was an effort from a group that was a part of this effort?