Chickasawhatchee Turkey/Pig Hunt March 28 – April 1, 2016

Clipper

I got drawn for the week 1 Chickasawhatchee turkey hunt this year with one rejection point. Got down there Monday afternoon, set up camp, and met the neighbor campers. There were a total of 6 hunters in camp and I believe we had the WMA to ourselves the whole time we were there. There were two gobblers taken and another missed. I was the only hunter using a bow.
Monday afternoon I set up my blind in a spot I had heard turkeys at last year and then went pig hunting. Had a group smell me in the swamp and heard them run off. They were in the middle of the swamp and I walked past them without knowing they were there. Tuesday morning I hunted the blind and called but neither heard nor saw birds. I pig hunted the rest of the morning and got almost in shooting distance of 2 small black pigs but the wind was shifting and they smelled me. Those were the only pigs I saw while down there. I did have another group smell me the next afternoon due to the wind shifting on me as well. I saw two gators while there and some real pretty scenery, including the swamp flowers in the pictures below. I also had a tom answering me Wednesday morning who never came in. The weather was nice except the wind was always changing directions. As usual, I saw an abundance of pig sign most places I hunted.
I left for home Thursday afternoon just before it rained. I averaged walking about 5.5 miles each full day and loved every minute of it. Skeeters were pesky and I brought one tick home on me in spite of 40% deet. No snakes but the gators made up for that. I took the picture below from about 10 feet with him hissing at me. Good trip and I would do it again. I invited some of my gun hunting friends from up here to apply for the hunt but when I mentioned skeeters, ticks, snake chaps, and gators they weren’t interested. Guess you just have to love the swamps to enjoy this. I would do it again.

Attachments

• swamp flowers.jpg
    swamp flowers.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 201
  • swamp flower bllom.jpg
    swamp flower bllom.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 200
  • gator.jpg
    gator.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 203

Big7

The Oracle
Take PLENTY of deet..

Been there, done that.
Had to throw away the t-shirt.

Figure out how much ice you need. Then double it.

If you are lucky, catfish will be on top of the pools.
Dip net all you want. DNR will look the other way
as long as you are not drinking, fire up a blunt, etc..

The fish are going to die anyway. Might as well eat them.
The brim and bass will be floating gator bait.

It is a fun trip.

Barebowyer

Good pics and great time I am sure. Looks like a good experience. Thanks for sharing. Saw some good pig sign this am on a local WMA n going to give it a go myself.