are crossbows stronger and fast then a compound bow

j_seph

Doesn't matter how hard an arrow or bolt hit a deer... Unlike a gun, death comes from hemmoraging (blood loss)

As I was told back as a kid from an old timer back then... If you can take a conveniece store styrofoam cooler and punch thru both sides with a broadhead? You're good to kill a deer...

ALL YOU NEED IS 2 HOLES THRU 2 LUNGS!!!! Game over... 30# bow with a stinger and a heavy enough arrow will do the trick..
Hmmm, every deer I ever shot with a gun behind the shoulder bleed to death or could no longer breathe due to holes in lungs unless it was shot in the head

hunter 84

I watched the YouTube video and it confirmed what I said that a crossbow is more accurate because it is easier to shoot and hits with more kinetic energy.it also said it took more time and practice to shoot a upright bow is what he called it I for one shoot a compound bow and don't want to shoot a crossbow I was just helping answer the persons question it seem to me like he was trying to choose between a compound and crossbow all I was saying that it is easier to shoot a crossbow.I don't care what people shoot I think they should shoot what they are comfortable with.

Slasher

trye but...

Hmmm, every deer I ever shot with a gun behind the shoulder bleed to death or could no longer breathe due to holes in lungs unless it was shot in the head

true, but many times they drop from trauma with one shot from the gun... especially a high shoulder shot... but trauma many times be the factor in cause of death in gun shots over hemmoraging with a bow will....

Last edited:

solocam678

You need to watch the one that they shoot thru the crono. Clearly in english an numbers. Don't know what you watched. They have pins set at 20 yards on both bows...shootin the same grain arrow. They both hit dead on at 20...as they got further back the xbow dropped more. An even with the more pounds on the xbow the compound still shot faster with more KE

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Dang if I could bust nocks with a compound at 50 I'd feel like a bully on the playground. LOL
I have to aim at a different spot on a target when shooting my crossbow or I ruin the previously fired arrow every other shot. My Barnett is very accurate. The pic below was an offhand, standing, no rest 50 yard shot and was about the 5th time I shot the bow. That group had less than an inch and then I started scraping shafts.

As far as "power" goes...I can NOT pull the bolts out of the target without laying it down and pulling straight up. It is even worse if you shoot them close together and can not get a good grip on the bolt (like in the pic below).

Attachments

• xbow 50yds.jpg
    xbow 50yds.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 611

bassfishga

I can NOT pull the bolts out of the target without laying it down and pulling straight up. It is even worse if you shoot them close together and can not get a good grip on the bolt (like in the pic below).

Put some tire shine or gloss on those arrows before practice with a rag or shop towel, etc. They will slide out a lot easier.

alligood729

I have to aim at a different spot on a target when shooting my crossbow or I ruin the previously fired arrow every other shot. My Barnett is very accurate. The pic below was an offhand, standing, no rest 50 yard shot and was about the 5th time I shot the bow. That group had less than an inch and then I started scraping shafts.

As far as "power" goes...I can NOT pull the bolts out of the target without laying it down and pulling straight up. It is even worse if you shoot them close together and can not get a good grip on the bolt (like in the pic below).

If that is a new blob target, you can't pull anything out of them til they are shot some. Them things are tough!!!

jasonftccrane

Well thanks for some of that info , I think ill just take my crossbow up to timberghost and shoot threw a cronico thingie , I have not hunted with my cross bow in a long time but now my 3 year old son is itching to go hunting with me so I have to set us up a blind or ladder stand and I figure it would be easyer to juggle him with a cross bow with me then taking my compound . As far as the long bow ill be tryin one day to kill deer with one of them but as of now I still don't feel I have the conpound perfected enough to go jump onto a long bow and hunt , its still a challange and rush with my compound , even tho it may be cheating some , but if you compare apples to apples , the indians may have hunted with long bows and stuff , but they also could probally hunt where ever they wanted to , didn't have property lines to deal with

Skoal Brother

I was joking about my long bow comments. I love hunting with my bow. But if I had a net I could have used it a few times this year when the deer was sniffing the first rung on my ladder stand, and I was standing there thinking "where in the world am I going to place my shot" Best of luck with your son, you will remember the weekend forever.

The Arrow Guru

The OP asked if a x-bow was stronger or faster than a compound. In general the energy and spped of compounds and x-bows are very similar. The reason that a x-bow has to have more poundage is that the power stroke, (how long the arrow is on the string) is so much shorter. Shooting a x-bow is like shooting a compound with a 11" draw length. There are a few, mostly expensive, x-bows out there that are incredibly fast and are in fact faster than the average compound. These would have more energy. The x-bow is like shooting a slow rifle and in that fact are easier to use and generally more accurate. They can be propped and do not require the user to physically hold the string back. The effective range of a x-bow is no more than a compound. Deer are deer and will jump at a sudden noise and even though there are fast x-bows, once you get out past the 40 yard mark you are playing poor odds with either.
I hope that answers your question.