Trying to upgrade and stay with a mathews.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I kinda wish to buy a newer model mathews. I have an outback and also a mq2 that I picked up. Well I’ve been very happy with both and no real reason to upgrade but,
I do like the Z7,Z7 extreme, chill,creed,heli m and a few more. Just trying to stay near the specs of the outback that I like so much. I’m digging the triax but, I’m not digging that deep in the pocket. Can the mathews lovers tell me why you love your bow. Yeah hoyt and others are cool but I’m so happy with my outback that I want to step up in the same company again. Strictly a hunter with short Ata is a must. I want forgiveness and good speed. Im not liking the no cam and would like a great review of a mathews owner please. No reason to bash mathews I’ll just wait till they make one that is a “outback upgrade” persay. I know lots of folks like the switchback but, I’m looking for a newerish bow. Fast light short forgiving hunter. Please help rather than recommending another company or bash mathews. I’m set there thanks.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
If you like the shorter ATA then the DXT is the uprgrade from the Outback type bows. It is a little older as well, but good shooting bow. What draw length and weight?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve heard some good things about the DXT. I quit looking that year... I bought 30” draw outback originally and recently changed cam to 29.5 two years ago.
Soon I will put the 30” cam back on to see if I can get back the performance I used to have. 70lb bow but ready to reduce some lbs maybe. This bow was a bullseye usually everytime until I went to a new string and 29.5 cam.
I’ll do my homework on the dxt awhile. I’m at the point to retrain myself and start over from scratch leaving nothing to chance. Close groups is not ok in my book. I want to drive them thumbtacks everytime again if possible for me.
So a new used bow might be the time just not sure as I was in years past.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Which mathews is better all around and about 32 ata since 2013 and newer. If I am going to upgrade then it needs to be something well newer otherwise I’ll stick with the outback until the triax is a few years old. Dxt aint gonna be it due to it’s age and the price sometimes asked for anything that says mathews on it. Halon line maybe?

fountain

If say the halon. I wouldn't overlook the new triax. They seem to be causing a big stir and it all seems positive

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Bought a new brighter and smaller diameter pin and reduced the lbs on my outback so I can start over, retrain and make sure my form is great. I’m seriously considering a ultrarest hsx next.
Also did alot of searching for a newer mathews bow that interests me enough to consider buying. Mostly finding more reasons not to upgrade than anything. Too early in the year for a ton of suggestions I guess. Going over to the mathews dealers to shoot the triax but I’m not gonna buy one until it’s at least a last years model. So many models and so little chances to test them makes for a dilemma.
Was hoping for more recommendations from mathews owners who like their bow model. I bought the outback because of it’s specs and I think I want those similar specs. Finding that newer mathews bow with same specs seems tough.

deadbox

I have the 1st Halon. It's not as short as the Triax but it is short. I prefer dual cam bows and love this one. If I had gotten the halon 32 last year I would get the Triax. However the halon is only a couple inches longer than the Triax and shoots great. Check AT classifieds you could find one for $300-$400 bare bow I'm sure.

Rob

I went from the Outback to the Halon last year - I owned several other Mathews prior to the Outback. I would recommend going and shooting the newer bows next to the Outback and then deciding if it is worth the additional money. I liked the draw cycle on my Outback better but everything else I gave the nod to the Halon (I went with the 6).

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
After looking at specs all week I’m thinking about finding a creed xs and shooting that before shooting a triax. Sounds like a happy medium to me. Creed xs owners speak up please. If you have something else you like in the mathews line that you think is the greatest I’d like to hear about it. Priorities say the triax must wait a few years,lol

jt12

I kinda wish to buy a newer model mathews. I have an outback and also a mq2 that I picked up. Well I’ve been very happy with both and no real reason to upgrade but,
I do like the Z7,Z7 extreme, chill,creed,heli m and a few more. Just trying to stay near the specs of the outback that I like so much. I’m digging the triax but, I’m not digging that deep in the pocket. Can the mathews lovers tell me why you love your bow. Yeah hoyt and others are cool but I’m so happy with my outback that I want to step up in the same company again. Strictly a hunter with short Ata is a must. I want forgiveness and good speed. Im not liking the no cam and would like a great review of a mathews owner please. No reason to bash mathews I’ll just wait till they make one that is a “outback upgrade” persay. I know lots of folks like the switchback but, I’m looking for a newerish bow. Fast light short forgiving hunter. Please help rather than recommending another company or bash mathews. I’m set there thanks.

I know you hunters don't want to hear this but here goes. Fast, lightweight, short ATA and forgiveness ain't happening, there's not a bow company that has a bow like what you're describing. Now if you remove forgiving from that statement you have a lot of options.
The short ATA's with short brace heights do create a lot of speed but it comes with a cost. If you are flawless in your form they are great but how many people are flawless. Don't get caught up with all the hoopla over a gimmick created to sell more bows. You would be better served with a bow 34 to 37 inches ATA with at least a 7 inch brace height.
Anyway you do you, I was just offering you sound advice and the truth about shorter bows. Here's something for you to ponder on, if I'm just blowing smoke why do all tournament shooters use heavier, longer ATA's bows.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I know you hunters don't want to hear this but here goes. Fast, lightweight, short ATA and forgiveness ain't happening, there's not a bow company that has a bow like what you're describing. Now if you remove forgiving from that statement you have a lot of options.
The short ATA's with short brace heights do create a lot of speed but it comes with a cost. If you are flawless in your form they are great but how many people are flawless. Don't get caught up with all the hoopla over a gimmick created to sell more bows. You would be better served with a bow 34 to 37 inches ATA with at least a 7 inch brace height.
Anyway you do you, I was just offering you sound advice and the truth about shorter bows. Here's something for you to ponder on, if I'm just blowing smoke why do all tournament shooters use heavier, longer ATA's bows.

I ask for good speed not fast as lightning. A longer than 34 ata bow is not a good fit in my hunting situations ever. I’ll be in some thick briars and branches more often then not.
I’ll squeeze enough accuracy out of any hunting bow or get another one instead.
Thank you for your knowledge and advice. But I’ve gotten so used to the outback specs at 31.5 ata and 7 3/8 I think brace height and don’t want anything longer ata I know that. I’m willing to go shorter on brace height.
I’m not trying to win the tournament against anybody and if I was, then would be the time for a long bow ata.
Trust me I’m all about them bow specs and wait for them to prove themselves before I hunt with it. Thank you honestly I know you came in with help.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Well no luck finding a creed xs to shoot and most are saying its slower than it should be anyway. I guess I’ll put a new rest on my outback and go for the garmin xero i sight. Just kidding

winford

Shot a DXT for years and loved it. Just bought the Triax a month ago . Its fast, no vibration and quietest bow i have ever heard or shot. Have a Bowtech and shot Hoyt also. Dig in your pocket, you won't be disappointed.

spencer12

Longer ATA and longer brace heights are the keys to accuracy. A lot of people like the shorter ATA bows with 5-6" brace heights because they shoot fast. However most would be better off with a longer slower bow, with a longer brace height, and a heavier arrow. Those short fast bows tend to have a harsh draw cycle that breaks over at the last 3" of your draw.

I've shot a LOT of bows over the years. I've shot short ATA bows and yes they had a ton of speed, however I was much more accurate with bows that were near 33-34" with around a 7" brace height. For hunting whitetails and keeping your shots 40 yards in (maybe more if you're confident in it) accuracy has been my choice over speed. There are plenty of bows that have ATA of 33" or more that can deliver 300fps type speed. (Which is plenty)

To the OP I've shot a few mathews and you really can't go wrong with any of their models.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve yet to find a bow I like better over my outback.
Im sure it’s not the best but to me it still is.

alligood729

Got to a shop, and shoot the PSE Evolve 31. 31" ata, 6"brace, 346 ibo. 80-90% letoff, adjustable on the cam. 24-30" draw adjustment, on the cam. Best combo of smooth and fast on the market. 6" brace doesn't bother me in the least. I hunted the last part of the season with a 5.25" bh bow, no problem with accuracy, and still has that great evolve cam with the same adjustments, but an ibo of 350fps, at 90% letoff....don't have to buy, just try. Or, the Response. 7" bh, 33" ata, 330 ibo, same evolve cam with all the adjustments. And a $799 price tag.....I'd say it's a very forgiving bow, and a shooter at that. SR Pro class was won with that bow at the Foley ASA shoot....

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I do want to try the evolve 31 before I change to any other bow. Mathews always leaves out one little thing in their specs for next year. Been like that forever. Thank you