snake boots vs. chaps

kingfish

For normal hunting deer or turkey, I use a pair of Rocky full lace up snake boots. I average about 5-6 years with a pair. Once broke in, they are the most comfortable I've ever worn. If I am scouting and it's hot, I use both boots and chaps. The brand for the chaps are Rattler and mine are at least 20 years old. They're hot as all get out, but I feel naked without them.

DRBugman85

The Rocky pro hunters 4 years now,when new I took mink oil in July and covered them out in the bed of the truck(90-125) degrees and ever year sense repeated the process,No break in required and never leaked.But do hold water when I go over the top.:cry: I admit they get a little warm.Years ago L.L.Bean Maine hunting boot and did the same process with mink oil waterproof a tall comfortable boot. :flag:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The Rocky pro hunters 4 years now,when new I took mink oil in July and covered them out in the bed of the truck(90-125) degrees and ever year sense repeated the process,No break in required and never leaked.But do hold water when I go over the top.:cry: I admit they get a little warm.Years ago L.L.Bean Maine hunting boot and did the same process with mink oil waterproof a tall comfortable boot. :flag:

I have the extra tall LL Bean Maine hunting boot, love them and it is a fine, comfortable boot. But it won`t stand up against a big diamondback, canebrake, or cottonmouth.

This 35 year old and 1 year old pair of Chippewas will though.

Attachments

• snake boots.jpg
    snake boots.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 218

DRBugman85

I have the extra tall LL Bean Maine hunting boot, love them and it is a fine, comfortable boot. But it won`t stand up against a big diamondback, canebrake, or cottonmouth.

This 35 year old and 1 year old pair of Chippewas will though.
Had Chippewa for a long time Lab puppy fangs chew them up 1 night bought a new pair leaked in every stich even with mink oil. Sent them back now Rocky pro hunters. Lightweight and comfortable.

Swamprat

Swamprat
A few years ago, a photograph and account of an Alabama turkey hunter in the hospital with a nasty lower leg bite by a rattler circulated on Facebook. His account of the incident was that on the morning of the bite he didn't feel like hassling with the laces on his snake boots so he opted for his Muck boots. The snake's fangs cut through the boots, pants and socks like a hot knife through butter. The link is dead or I'd be posting it. A couple of years ago a local businessman got lazy about wearing his snake boots and got struck leaving an evening deerstand. He spent some serious time in the hospital with a lower leg bite. Gil

Not doubting but when I said normal strike I was referring to rattles 5' and under, the size most apt to strike. Just about every rattler over 5 feet I come across will rarely coil up unless you agitate it and for the most part just want to crawl away.

Seems like the bigger they get they become less feisty unless you plant a boot right on them.

For the last dozen years or so every rattlesnake I came across whether at work or around where I live going across a dirt road gets a free pass. The big ones might do a lazy S coil but rarely rattle and with a little prodding move on.

Last one I killed was 3 years ago. Friends daughter had one close to 6 foot in her fenced in rabbit pen.

gnatbait

I have had very good luck ordering my snake proof boots from sportsman’s guide ( guide gear ). I liked the first pair which I still have and use since 2006 so much I went ahead and ordered a second pair just to have a spare when the time comes. They are both comfortable ( to me) and have put many miles on my first pair. The second pair is equally as comfortable and I took them out yesterday. The best part is they cost much less than the high end look what I got boots.