New guy with questions

aa07512

Hey guys, new to fly fishing and have been trying to learn all I can. Is there anyone around Columbus that I coul ask questions to. I have some questions about the leader and tippet and don't think I could explain it typing it all.. Or anyone on here willing to do a phone call for me..Thanks guys !

Cliff Speed

Doesn't look as if you're getting any takers on that phone call. Maybe you should go ahead and try to post your questions. I'm sure whatever they are, they are questions that pretty much every other fly fisherman on the message board here has asked himself at one time.

Dean

Ask away....

in the meantime, I will take a "guess" at your questions with this reply: flyline, leader, tippet. You can tie/attach a tapered leader to the end of your flyline and tie the fly to the end of the tapered leader. As you change flies, naturally the tapered end of the leader gets "shorter" and thus the diameter changes as the leader gets shorter. At this point is when you add lengths of tippet - the "added" tippet extends your leader. Each has different diameters or lbs of test (5X, 3X etc.) You will want to match your tippet size to the size fly and conditions you are fishing. A 3X tippet is larger, stronger than a 5X tippet. As you enjoy your journey of fly fishing, you will learn that some conditions require "lighter" and longer leader/tippet lengths and some require heaver. And yes, it helps to become really good at tying (and learn several) knots, especailly when connecting 2 lines together of different diameters or really even the same diameter.

aa07512

Thanks for the help guys. Y'all are all close. I saw a video where a guy was connecting the leader and tippet with a loop. Not a knot. His leader was only about 6 " he said. I was thinking this way you would never have to cut the tippet off the leader making it shorter and shorter and eventually having to replace the length of leader, just undo the loop and add a new tippet.. If I do it this way, how long should my leader b and how long would the tippet be.. Thanks again for the help guys!

Georgia Hard Hunter

i think you might be a little mixed up, the 6" leader was a perfection loop for attaching the leader on its other end it's tied to the fly line with a nail knot. The leader is attached to the perfection loop, loop to loop.The leader is tapered from thick on the loop end down to a much smaller tippet size on the fly end of the leader. The length of the leader can vary 7 1/2' to 9' for nymphing, 9' to 12' for dry fly or spooky fish. The rating of the leader 3x, 5x, ect is a measurement of the diameter and weight capacity of the leader (on the tippet end). As the pieces of leader breaks off or needs to have tippet added use a double surgeons knot to tye that in (very easy to learn and tye).
The way you are describing won't work, it will hinge at the loop and not transfer the energy down the leader and turn the fly over and extend the fly to the fartherest point

Last edited:

Cliff Speed

I think what you saw was more like what Hard Hunter here is saying. People commonly take a short piece of thick mono, or maybe a short piece of leftover tapered leader and attach it to their fly line, usually with a nail knot or something similar. On the other end of the short piece they tie a loop. Then they take a long tapered leader with a loop on the end of it and put the two loops together. They tie tippet onto the end of that leader as it shortens, and once the long leader gets too short, they just undo the loop to loop connection and put another leader on. It saves from having to tie another nail knot, which is a pain, and saves from maybe having to clip off fly line.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine too many people tying on a short section of leader and then looping a piece of tippet on, because in a lot of situations that would probably make it hard to turn your rig over because there would be no taper, only straight mono. Maybe if someone was nymphing with a short leader or something they might do that, but I'm not sure. Hopefully some other folks with voice their opinions too, but that doesn't sound right to me.

aa07512

Guys, thanks so much. That makes perfect sense( even though I don't know what turning my fly over is..haha). I do understand the concept and that clears it all up for me.. I was thinking it would be a pain to have to retire the nail knot e when the leader got to short. So this clears it all up for me. Now, the question I have is how do you know when you have got past the taper on you leader and need to tie a knew one.. Can you tell by eye that you are past the taper???? Thanks again guys. I know I will have more questions.

Cliff Speed

Basically when you get to a point that the leader is so thick you can't tie any more tippet to it. The knot won't hold.

As far as turning your fly or rig over, what that means, to me anyway, is that when you make a cast, your line, leader, tippet and fly all form a nice loop and unfurl neatly and softly onto the water. If it doesn't turn over then it all comes crashing down at your feet in a big tangled mess.

Georgia Hard Hunter

Basically when you get to a point that the leader is so thick you can't tie any more tippet to it. The knot won't hold.

As far as turning your fly or rig over, what that means, to me anyway, is that when you make a cast, your line, leader, tippet and fly all form a nice loop and unfurl neatly and softly onto the water. If it doesn't turn over then it all comes crashing down at your feet in a big tangled mess.

You are exactly right on turning the fly over. The leader is a taper as you move up the leader to the loop it gets thicker. You can't keep cutting the leader and it still be effective when repaired. As you remove leader you are constantly tying a small tippet to a thicker portion of the leader. This will not work continually. Once the size of the remaining leader gets much above 2 sizes bigger than the tippet it won't turn over as well. The bigger the remaining leader is from the tippet size the poorer it will turn over

Basicly in laymans terms once you lose a quarter of the leader its not effective to just add in the rated size tippet anymore, you have to rebuild the taper with gradually reducing the tippet sizes Ie: you break off 3 feet of a 9' 5x leader you don't tie in 3' of 5 x tippet you have to tie in 1' of 3x then 2' of 5x to keep the taper and to get it back to 9' and still turn the flys over

aa07512

Thanks guys. I understand now. Do y'all think any of the bass pro, cabelas, or ll bean combos around 150.00 are good. I don't want to spend the big bucks on my first rig but don't want the Walmart special either.

centerpin fan

Do y'all think any of the bass pro, cabelas, or ll bean combos around 150.00 are good.

They would be fine. Other than the "house brand" combos in that price range, you should also check out the Redington Crosswater combo (around $140) and the Temple Forks (TFO) combos ($150-$170.)

antintyty

I hope you don't mind, but I have a "be guy question"and I thought you'd benefit too...
So, how do you determine how much tippet to use?

centerpin fan

So, how do you determine how much tippet to use?

Basically, tippet is used to replace the tip section of your leader (hence the name "tippet".)

As you tie on flies, you will eat into the tip section. So, if you have a 9' leader, add about 18" of tippet once the leader's down to about 7.5'. That's a rough estimate, but it's close enough for government work. Also, 9' is a standard leader length, but it's not etched in stone. Some people go shorter and some go longer. It's a good starting point for a beginner, though.

In addition to the links I listed above, let me add that a good book or DVD is worth its weight in gold to a beginner. Orvis and LL Bean both have good books. The Orvis book is by Tom Rosenbauer, and the Bean book is by Dave Whitlock.

yaknfish

I have built quite a few furled leaders as shown in this Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs
You'll end up with a thicker and thinner section, (approx 3' each) with a loop on each end. The thicker end is attached, loop to loop, to a loop on the fly line. Then the 3' tippet is attached loop to loop to the leader. When the tippet gets short enough, replace 18" or so with a surgeon's or blood knot. Or if the tippet gets too short to do that, just take another 3' section of tippet material, tie a perfection loop and replace the whole tippet.

Just another way to do it.

cjones

aa07512 said:
Thanks guys. I understand now. Do y'all think any of the bass pro, cabelas, or ll bean combos around 150.00 are good. I don't want to spend the big bucks on my first rig but don't want the Walmart special either.

I bought a TFO rod/Hobbs Creek reel combo from BPS last fall for <$200. I haven't fished with it a ton yet, but throwing yarn in the back yard, it does really well. Plus, TFO has the unlimited lifetime warranty like a lot of the high-dollar outfits.

Posted from Gon.com App for Android