Abolish 12 inch size limit for largemouth bass?

T-N-T

But slots eliminate mounting the big-uns....

MYRX

I keep a few 2 to 3 pound spots each year for dinners. I release everything else. We keep a tape and camera handy in the boat. It is easy to have a replica made if a big largemouth is caught. Why not appreciate the years it took for her to mature and survive.

BassRaider

I mainly fish Lanier and used to catch many dinks. Once they raised the size limit (late 90's?), the fishing became better and the quality much improved. I don't know if other factors helped the change but Lanier is my go to lake. Also fish Oconee, Russell, & Seminole. My favorite used to West Point & Lake Martin just couldn't handle the trip thru ATL.
Catch & Release!

lampern

I mainly fish Lanier and used to catch many dinks. Once they raised the size limit (late 90's?), the fishing became better and the quality much improved. I don't know if other factors helped the change but Lanier is my go to lake. Also fish Oconee, Russell, & Seminole. My favorite used to West Point & Lake Martin just couldn't handle the trip thru ATL.
Catch & Release!

I would also venture to guess the illegal introduction of blue back herring is also more of a reason than a bump from 12 inches to 14 inches in the size limit but I have no idea of the harvest pressure on Lake Lanier in late 1990s and maybe too many 12-13 inch largemouth bass were being creeled.

Does anyone know when bluebacks showed up in Lanier?

Last edited:

deerhunter09

The harvest pressure is pretty significant now, regardless of size limits. I see people all the time putting every fish they catch, regardless of size, in their live wells or buckets. There's not enough DNR officers to do much about it. The dudes that set out 25 rods on the points don't throw anything back, be it a 6 inch Spot or a 4 inch Bluegill. If you say anything to them about it, they pretend that they don't speak English.

lampern

Yup, same here, but how would you regulate tournaments? They are catch and release, but they pull big females off bed and release them miles away which in my opinion, is just as bad as keeping one to eat. In fact worse because its 20-100 people doing it instead of the one guy keeping one to eat...

Never thought about tournaments. Never new they released fish far from where they caught them.

lampern

Although minimum-size regulations provide good, sustainable fishing, they are incompatible with high-quality management objectives by focusing harvest on faster-growing females, while protecting slower-growing males. Regulations that limit harvest of bass over a certain size provide protection for the larger fish while allowing anglers to harvest a reasonable number of smaller, more abundant bass.

http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/black-bass/bass-regulations/changes/

largemouth bass

LARGEMOUTH BASS
12 inches statewide except:
• Lake Blackshear: 14 inches
• Lake Blue Ridge: no minimum (0 inches)
• Lake Burton: no minimum (0 inches)
• Lake Juliette: no minimum (0 inches)
• Lake Lanier: 14 inches
• Lake Oconee: 14 inches
• Lake Lindsay Grace: bass between 15 and
22 inches must be released immediately. All
others may be kept. In addition, only one bass
may be greater than 22 inches.
• Lake Walter F. George: 14 inches
• West Point Reservoir: 14 inches
• Public Fishing Area lakes operated by the
Department of Natural Resources: 14 inches.
This limit will not apply to lakes which have
been posted as having a different length limit
for largemouth bass.

s&r

I filled out a survey

several years back to make it a statewide length limit of 12 inches. Never saw the results from it.

Lake Juliette is were I bass fish and you can legally keep any bass you catch there. However, I have a self imposed limit of 12 inches.

I catch plenty of largemouth there, enough to fill my freezer up in about 2 months to last all year long.

s&r

lampern

That sounds like a pretty good regulation to me. IF people follow the rules and only take 5 per day then I don't see populations being hurt by meat fishermen even if they fish every day. As far as the law breakers....it doesn't really matter what rules are made because they don't obey them.

Unfortunately law breakers ruin it for everyone else.

Call the DNR when you see law breaking going on.

lampern

several years back to make it a statewide length limit of 12 inches. Never saw the results from it.

Lake Juliette is were I bass fish and you can legally keep any bass you catch there. However, I have a self imposed limit of 12 inches.

I catch plenty of largemouth there, enough to fill my freezer up in about 2 months to last all year long.

s&r

So removing the 12 inch limit at Lake Juliette has not seen a decrease in the bass population?

There has never been.......

a length limit on largemouth bass , nor a length limit on crappie, nor a length limit on bream......

nor anything else in the lake.

I don't have a problem catching plenty of largemouth, not to say that some other people might. And, I am not one to say what the largemouth population was at one time, some other time or even now.

What I am saying is this, if there was a problem with the largemouth population in the lake, the DNR would have a length limit. I don't eat 6" fish, but if you had a mind too you could do so and I don't think it would effect the amount of largemouth in the lake whatsoever.

So, in closing I think the largemouth population in the lake is just fine. There are plenty of fish and plenty of people fishing for them as well.

I have been fishing on that lake for at least 40 years, I don't spend much time bass fishing anywhere else....if any really.

I caught a 6.5 this past year Memorial Day Monday, and she ate just fine....just ask my wife.

s&r

Latest posts