Sinclair report - 1/20/18

61BelAir

I took advantage of the warmer temps yesterday and went out from around 3 until 9. I haven't had the chance to get on the lake in the daylight in months and wanted to check out parts of the lake I have been afraid to wonder into in the dark. I ran down to the dam and then up the arm that goes towards Gum Cemetery RD. Flatrock Branch is what Google maps calls it. ??

Anyway I threw some crankbaits around seawalls and docks thinking I might find some fish coming up shallow to soak up the sun with no luck.

I decided to run back in the other direction and went way up towards Twin Bridges. I went up to the back of catfish cove and messed around awhile.....I finally got a bite on a worm right at sunset. It was a 13 incher, but at least I wasn't skunked.

I decided to head back in and stopped at a light I like on the way without a bite. I then tried one more light deciding to quit after it. It's sitting in about 15' of water and drops off in the mid-20's pretty quick. I ended up getting hung up on the dock at one point and saw several fish near the bottom right in front of the dock when I went to get loose. So I backed off and tried a worm and a jig. Still no bite. I anchored about 20' in front of the dock and cast a crankbait at an angle down each side. About ten casts down one side and then switched up. On one of those "this will probably be my last cast" I saw one charge up from the depths and inhale the crankbait within 5' of the boat. It just paused for a second and I set the hook....not too hard because I thought it might just spit the lure. She never swam strong, but not once tried to dive deep or make a long run. She just worked back and forth on top right by the boat. It was cool to watch under the dock light. I netted this one and she had the crankbait fully engulfed with the rear hook barely in her gill and the front in the roof of her mouth. 23" long, 18" girth, and she weighed 7 pounds & 13 ounces! :fine:

So around six hours for 2 bites. Tonight my wife's going with me.

61BelAir

A couple of dark blurry pictures.

Attachments

• 0120182129resize.jpg
    0120182129resize.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 825
  • 0120182130resize.jpg
    0120182130resize.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 823

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Persistence pays off. Nice fish.
Jeff

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Nice!

What was the water temps? Muddy?

Thinking about going Friday for crappie.

61BelAir

Persistence pays off. Nice fish.
Jeff

Thanks for the report and nice fish! Just curious if you caught them on the main lake or one of the creeks?

Nice!

Thanks. The little one was in a cove called catfish cove up between optimus island and Twin bridges. Off a seawall right at dusk. The big one was on the main lake at a dock light within sight of the highway about 8:30.

What was the water temps? Muddy?
Thinking about going Friday for crappie.

The water was pretty clear down towards the dam and even fairly nice all the way up towards Twin Bridges although it's always more stained there. Temps were in the mid-40's. I didn't see many people crappie fishing and when I left just before nine, every other trailer was gone from the ramp.

Wow!! Well done J!
Thanks Horace. After catching that little guy I thought I would be posting a "Missed it by that much." thread like yours. For the last 3 trips that's a skunk and then a couple of 2 fish nights so it's been really slow. I need to go chase some catfish.

Shawn Holcombe

That's a good one! I'm in the twin bridges area and have a private boat ramp if you want to get together one day or night! I always do pretty good on the large lips this time of year over here.:flag:

61BelAir

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. Water was 46 degrees tonight.

That's a good one! I'm in the twin bridges area and have a private boat ramp if you want to get together one day or night! I always do pretty good on the large lips this time of year over here.:flag:

That sounds good Shawn. Bring your daughter along too if she still likes fishing. We're down to 2 girls at home and neither of them like it. Shannon and I went out for a few hours tonight, but only caught one bass barely over 12". I was hoping the warm day would have them a little more active tonight.
We need to get together with the Captain and go after some of those cats in Crooked Creek too. Personally I'd rather it be a little warmer than tonight to be out there, but I'll still go anyway whenever you want to.

61BelAir

Just let me know when. Weeknights are best for me. I don't get off until 6, but work not far from the lake. I can bring the boat as long as I know the day before.
I guess that a weeknight would make it tougher to bring your lil girl, but we could still get a few hours in maybe. Or we'll get out on a weekend so she can go.

Shawn Holcombe

Looking forward to wetting a line with you! My little girl said I can't go without her to! A week night would be OK. I'll keep in touch:flag: