Fort Desoto to Egmont Key?

mdgreco191

This is a question for the Gulf kayakers.

I will be at Fort Desoto, it is at the top of Tampa Bay, over Memorial day week. I want to go over to Egmont Key to fish the artificial reefs. I have a OK Big Game 2 and have paddled back from Little Tybee to Tybee island. When I made that trip back I was paddling against the outgoing tide and it was not the easiest thing I have done, but not the hardest either. I say that to give you an idea of my paddling abilities.

From what I read the current can be strong in the shipping channel between the keys. Not to mention the monster ships using that channel. Obviously I would wait to head out if there were lots of ships and would monitor the tides.

After saying all of that do you kayakers that have made this same trip think it would be too difficult/dangerous for my experience level?

tdw3684

Check out Watertribe.com and ask them. The Everglades Challenge starts at Fort Desoto and they should be familiar with those waters. I know your trip is over but there's always next time.

mdgreco191

I ended up not having enough time to make the trip. After seeing those big old ships and the massive boat traffic that goes through there I figured it probably wasn't a good idea. If you could hit it during the middle of the week during a non summertime then it would be doable.

Wife and Kids sometimes doesn't afford you the chance to make those long trips. I love them though!