Any white bass reports before this GA rain?

It's been a minute since I've posted or even gone fishing. Picked up a house in 2016 so I spent quite some time working on it.

Then the boat motor died on me in 2017 so after 2 failed attempts to restore I threw in the towel and picked up a new 2018 boat. Heck, it's not even broken in yet so I hope to get out more this 2018 and provide some reports.

Just wondering if anyone got out before all this rain came in and see how the fishing was for the white bass. My usual haunts I launch from the Lock and Dam on the Coosa River or Brushy Branch. Last year I attempted to go up the Etowah on Allatoona but by the time they filled the pond up it was already after the run. We came home empty-handed each time we went. Little River on Allatoona was also not all that great in 2017. I'll make my first trip on the Coosa the second week of March, I'll let you all know how it goes

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
This time last year we were already catching them at West Point. The cold this year has them on a more normal schedule. The water temps are right from what I saw this weekend...52-54. This good current will most definitely get them moving and I fully expect the start catching them as soon as the mud clears some. We've got a full moon on the 1st of March so there should be a good push of fish that week prior if the weather doesn't go crazy cold.

ryork

Would think it would be a little while yet before the whites get up towards the lock and dam in good numbers. Most years we get on them good approaching the lock and dam the first week or two of March. Once the flow subsides some and the water clears a bit, I bet you could find some well downstream of there though over the next week or so. I was in Rome today, and the Oostanaula was out of the banks crawling up the levee and muddy to the point you could plow it.

crankie

I think by this time last year the yellow bass were already in Dry creek (Brushy branch) area. Haven't been able to go check them out yet this year. I imagine it'll be a little later than last year given the way the weather was last month. May try there in the later part of next week.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I think by this time last year the yellow bass were already in Dry creek (Brushy branch) area. Haven't been able to go check them out yet this year. I imagine it'll be a little later than last year given the way the weather was last month. May try there in the later part of next week.

If the rain don't let up, even the tenacious yellows will stay "washed" out of Dry Creek for a while. Can't wait to get up there and tangle with them tho. On light tackle they are frigg'n whales. :cheers:

Lindseys Grandpa

Gonna hit West Point this week looking fer them .Cracker and Pop Pop I may break out the Redneck Cruise liner Thursday if all interested.

Lindseys Grandpa

Would have been nice earlier . Ain't sure I would want to be out there now with the wind I got at my house.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Does West Point not get muddy as much or as fast as some other lakes? I don't get to go there much. So I'm just surprised that it's only about a 3. Thank you for the info.

It gets extremely muddy, but they have been pulling a ton of water and that clears it out somewhat quickly.

The water is ripe at the Coosa Lock and Dam for my picking. I'll try to make a voyage this weekend or next weekend.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 1.39.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 1.39.53 PM.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,173

Had our first trip to the Coosa Lock and Dam Saturday 02/24. Arrived about 8 AM, with water temps ranging 55-57 all day. Water color was a stained brown the whole day. We fished close to the dam area to start and picked up a 2# hybrid and huge white bass. I thought that was going to be a promising day. Both caught on Rapala SR5 Firetiger color just fan casting to the sandbar. I noticed that the first white bass had no color on it like it just pulled up from the depths. We fished our normal routine but was quiet for the rest of the day. Beating the banks as we floated down the river, fished every creek mouth we saw, pulled back and fished deeper they all failed. We ended up the day with just 3 fishes and called it a day at 2:30 pm. Water ran pretty fast more than usual and with the brown waters probably didn't help. We could not keep our lures in the strike zone long enough. I will wait another 2 weeks and try again. We just need the water to slow a little I'm okay with stained/brown water.

Last edited:

mmcneil

We fished Saturday also. We put in at river road and ran up to the power plant with not much action. Ended up running down river to island and picked up a few. They seemed to be deep for us also.