Lanier 2/18: Some firsts, and no pics

Coenen

Got the 'yak out on Sunday. Late start, probably pushing noon before I got on the water, 12:45 before I got lines in at the spot. Water stained, lots of crud in the top ten feet. Still a good amount of larger debris as well. Be careful out there!

Started with both sides of a mid creek drain that produced nicely last time around. Deployed the freelines and boards, and made a pass was down the flat side, el ziltcho. Came back up the steeper side, had a few marks on sonar, no hookups. Headed out to round a point into the next inlet over, and I saw(at a distance) my first wake boarder of 2018. :banginghe Made the turn into the next cut, and saw(close up) my first bikini of 2018, not bad! :banana:

Got back into the drain a little further and marked some fish on the 20-30ft range on the 'Bird. Got a couple of tentative pulls, and picked off one small spot to kick the skunk. Monkeyed around trying to get a couple of his buddies to bite, and couldn't get a whiff. Headed back out towards the channel cheating out into the 35-40 foot range.

About the time I hit the point, both shallow side rods got hit. First aboard was another small spot, followed by a small striper, maybe in the 3-4lb range. Turned back into the first drain I tried and kept it out over deeper water. One of the rods started acting weird, finally pulled it, and found out I had a crappie on my hands! My first for the year, and nice to see that they're starting to move around a bit! :cool:

No further action in that area, and I headed for the house. Got buzzed by my first jet skier of '18 about halfway home, of course he looked at me like I was crazy.

Rest of the paddle home was pretty uneventful. Nice day to be out there, hope some of y'all got a chance to enjoy it as well!

Water temps are UP! Surface temp at put in was 52-53, I found 54 out where I was fishing. The real corker was when I pulled back up to the dock, in the cove right in front of my home, the surface temp was sitting at 57+ over 17-20 FOW at 5 o'clock. With more unseasonably warm weather in the forecast for this week, things are about to start changing quickly and breaking loose sooner rather than later.

61BelAir

This fishing year is off to a great start!!! Be careful out there. Maybe you should take the paintball gun along and give a new paintjob to some of those jet skis that nearly run you over. IDK, that might be a felony or something.

Coenen

This fishing year is off to a great start!!! Be careful out there. Maybe you should take the paintball gun along and give a new paintjob to some of those jet skis that nearly run you over. IDK, that might be a felony or something.
If it stays warm like this we'll forget about how miserable December and January were pretty quickly!

I see your joke, and don't think I haven't joked similarly, but the law probably would see my paintball gun the same as a firearm in that situation. Something to remember if anyone has any ideas about leaving a few welts on troublesome jet ski enthusiasts!

61BelAir

If it stays warm like this we'll forget about how miserable December and January were pretty quickly!

I see your joke, and don't think I haven't joked similarly, but the law probably would see my paintball gun the same as a firearm in that situation. Something to remember if anyone has any ideas about leaving a few welts on troublesome jet ski enthusiasts!

Yeah I know.....it's just a shame that they don't look at people swamping and/or nearly running over kayakers the same way. Dangerous anytime, but especially when the water is still this cold.

Teh Wicked

Handful of split shot gets their attention...So im told anyways.