Can I unload my muzzleloader without shooting it?

BAMA HUNTER

Just wondering if there is any danger in taking the plug out and just getting the powder out and pushing the bullet out that way..without shooting it?
Thanks.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
no problem. just dont forget to clean the gun VERY well because if its been loaded with pellets this long it probably has some corrosion at the breech

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Just wondering if there is any danger in taking the plug out and just getting the powder out and pushing the bullet out that way..without shooting it?
Thanks.

That's how I do mine. Don't forget the breech plug grease when you put the plug back in!:eek:

Bill Mc

It's a high temp grease to keep the plug from galling after it's been shot a few times.

hawgrider1200

inline or not?

Thanks.
If u said whether it's the inline modern type or not I missed it. If it is u'd be ok to take the breechplug out and pour the powder out the back unless it is pellets. If it's pellets U can take the ramrod and run it in from the breach toward the muzzle. If it is not inline, it's a whole different ball game. I saw a CO2 cylinder that had a adapter to screw into the hole where ur nipple is screwed in. I've nevr used this as I always just shot out any load I did not want in the gun for whatever reason.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
There is a CO2 attachment to blow out the charge and ball so you don't have to shoot it.

I have 2 inlines (I bought one for my dad). I never shoot them unless I'm at the range or shooting at a deer. At the end of PW season, I push the bullet and pellets out the breech with the ramrod and put them back in the corner of the pellet box. Those 2 loads become my first two sight-in loads the next season. I then clean both guns thoroughly and reinstall the breech plug with anti-seize lubricant before storing them for the next 11 months.