Age this bird

FALCON z

This was my first ever turkey, in 2011 he sailed from the limb to my decoy. His spurs were only 1/2 long but had a 11in beard and I think that's a full fan. Was he a super jake or a handicapped gobbler?
18a267e5-ee85-4537-bc40-fb6b920f968d_zps1b51dcd4.jpg

c118e7c1-ba9e-44f4-8c41-5ff47b67f9b8_zps83150466.jpg

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
This was my first ever turkey, in 2011 he sailed from the limb to my decoy. His spurs were only 1/2 long but had a 11in beard and I think that's a full fan. Was he a super jake or a handicapped gobbler?

That one is full grown. Some area's just seem to not have the spurs you would expect for a mature bird. Jakes( even superjakes) tend to have rounded off nubs till they get longer than a 1/4 inch or so. Pointy ends is a good thing.
Fine bird, Falcon.

FALCON z

Birds in this area have black spurs This is the only bird, I've seen killed on the land with red spurs. The tail fans in this area do not have very light tips. But 12 miles down the road the tails fans are very nice looking.

hoppie

Some gobblers do not have beards or spurs, so definitely a mature bird.

sman

Short curved and pointed...that's unusual. Cool though.

Killdee

Very unusual spurs, length points to a 2 year old but pointed sharp curved spurs, while usually longer point to 3-4 year old:crazy::confused:. I would be proud of him, I dont have any like that in my collection.

icdedturkes

Very unusual spurs, length points to a 2 year old but pointed sharp curved spurs, while usually longer point to 3-4 year old:crazy::confused:. I would be proud of him, I dont have any like that in my collection.

This... Cannot say I have ever seen a set like that.. Who knows how old he is

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
11" beard = a mature bird, hooks or not.

six

Based on the beard alone I'd say three at least. I've killed a couple over the years with a long beard but no sign of a spur.

Killdee

Spurs dont get sharp till 3-5 years old, beard is not a good indicator since they grow 7-8" a year and drag off the excess. Does he have any amber in the beard tip's? If no amber hes 3 or better.

The mtn man

2 year old.

bubbafowler

I called in a bird for a kid saturday that had a 1/2 inch rounded spur on one side and only a rounded nub like a jake on the other. It had a 9 inch beard and a full fan. Just a weak 2 year old.