Out of State UTV Dealers

ribber

Who are some are these dealers that I always hear folks going to in Tenn, SC, AL, etc. to buy Rangers and 4-wheelers?
And, why are they so much cheaper?

I've always bought used, but considering a new Ranger some time this year.

The mtn man

Ritchie power sports in Athens Tennessee. I bought my rancher there back in 2012, no sales tax.

Major Wader

Atlanta area dealers of boats, UTV's, and 4 wheelers are greedy. Not hard to get a better deal out of town. I bought a boat a few years back, and the guy in Panacea, FL was over $2000 cheaper than the locals. Pretty easy to justify that fishing trip.

Looking at new Rangers myself, and while I will give my local a chance, I will probably go to TN like my friend did.

Matthewmathis8

Souther honda power sports in Chattanooga has the best prices of anyone on Honda four wheelers. They often have last years models crazy cheap. They are a huge place and supposedly buy everyone’s left over inventory and sell them. When I bought mine a few years back I paid $1300 less than my local dealer wanted for the exact same machine.

ribber

Atlanta area dealers of boats, UTV's, and 4 wheelers are greedy. Not hard to get a better deal out of town. I bought a boat a few years back, and the guy in Panacea, FL was over $2000 cheaper than the locals. Pretty easy to justify that fishing trip.

Looking at new Rangers myself, and while I will give my local a chance, I will probably go to TN like my friend did.

I always try to give the local guys business and I would rather buy local. But, $2000 is hard to ignore.
The only things I hear bad about buying out of state is the local dealers don't get in any hurry to do warranty work if its needed. Which, I understand that.

across the river

If they can get a certain price for it, how is it greed? Next time you sell your house, a car, or anything else make sure sell it below market value for the area to show people you aren't being greedy.

brownceluse

If they can get a certain price for it, how is it greed? Next time you sell your house, a car, or anything else make sure sell it below market value for the area to show people you aren't being greedy.

I agree it's not greed. It's the suggested retail price for the area. But, I also see nothing wrong with buying one out of state if you can save money.

Major Wader

I consider it greed when they won't negotiate. I took the Florida quote to my local dealer, and he quickly told me he wouldn't sell it for that. He wouldn't even counter after I told him if he would get close, that I would rather buy local.

If the guy in Tennessee can make money at that margin, then these guys could too.

Everyone has to make money, but they don't have to make it all on one sale. Car dealers do the same thing. Their lobby is why you have to pay an impact fee to bring a car into Georgia.

across the river

I consider it greed when they won't negotiate. I took the Florida quote to my local dealer, and he quickly told me he wouldn't sell it for that. He wouldn't even counter after I told him if he would get close, that I would rather buy local.

If the guy in Tennessee can make money at that margin, then these guys could too.

Everyone has to make money, but they don't have to make it all on one sale. Car dealers do the same thing. Their lobby is why you have to pay an impact fee to bring a car into Georgia.

It still isn't greed. If they think they can sell it for what they are asking to someone else, why would they negotiate with you. There have been plenty of times someone local said they couldn't sell me something for what someone else could when I asked them to meet a price like you did. Like you, I went and bought it elsewhere. It doesn't mean they were greedy, it just meant they didn't feel like it was worth it to sell it to me at that price when they knew some else would pay what they were asking. When there is no one out there to pay what they want, they will be forced to come down on price or not sell it. That is how economics works. I just think it is funny how everyone thinks atv and car dealers, timber companies, etc.... are being greedy when they try to make money on something and won't give them the vehicle or lease price that they want to pay. You all aren't telling the companies you work for the pay you less.
As far as an "impact fee" on cars goes, someone has feed you some bogus info. An "impact fee" is charged on heavy vehicles based on weight, and has nothing to do with where it was purchased. It doesn't matter if you purchase a car from a dealer in Tennessee, because they will apply for your title in Georgia. You won't pay TN taxes, but pay the same AD valorous tax you would if you bought it in GA. Again, I'm all for going somewhere else to buy something if I can get a better deal, but that doesn't mean the local guy who won't take what I am offering is greedy. The great thing about capitalism is we both have the option to make the decision to sell, not sell, buy, or go somewhere else.

Jim Boyd

I bought twice from Honda of Chattanooga. Great folks, quick processing and it is a Honda, so no more need be said.

Bought a 1000 Pioneer in 2016 and priced the dealer in Chattanooga.

Went to my local dealer and asked them what they could do....

They basically would not let me leave!

Sold me a demo with 4 miles on it (could not tell it was a demo) for the same price as the out of state dealer. The demo had roof, windshield, winch, etc - no charge.

Added the 5 year warranty - no charge.

They also sold me - in the same deal - 4 aftermarket tires and rims (big mud tires) for my old Rancher, for $400.

May pay to talk to your local dealer and tell them the truth and ask them what they can do for you....

My Pioneer is the single seat and it climbs like a mountain goat.

I mainly use it in Illinois and use my Rancher in SC.

Good luck.

44magpastor

Woo boy

ATV dealers. Last fall, I was attempting to buy a Kawasaki mule. Local dealer tried to add on 25% of the asking price, for freight and document fees.

Quoted a price. Then hit me with the fees, after the test drive, and was inside, about to make the deal.

I walked out and won't set foot in that place again.

Jim Boyd

Yeah, you must ask for the OTD price on the front end.

Many times, just tell them what you want to pay - which is what I did and ended up with a bunch of extras and extended warranty.

beginnersluck

Souther honda power sports in Chattanooga has the best prices of anyone on Honda four wheelers. They often have last years models crazy cheap. They are a huge place and supposedly buy everyone’s left over inventory and sell them. When I bought mine a few years back I paid $1300 less than my local dealer wanted for the exact same machine.

This is the way to go as they have pretty cheap prices to start, but in most cases it's so MUCH cheaper because they won't charge sales tax since you're out of state. If you don't pay sales tax, watch out tho, when GA gets wind of it.

BigDogDaddy

Ritchie Powersports in Athens, TN.
Saved thousands on a 4 wheeler and Ranger. I will never buy local when it comes to a new boat or ATV/UTV

PCNative

If you're looking at rangers try Adrenalin Power Sports in Griffin. I bought mine there and I shopped around all over the state, Tennessee and Alabama They beat everybody's price, some by as much as $2000.

JHannah92

If you're looking at rangers try Adrenalin Power Sports in Griffin. I bought mine there and I shopped around all over the state, Tennessee and Alabama They beat everybody's price, some by as much as $2000.

Agreed. They beat the other dealerships I talked to by a mile. Their out the door price was cheaper than everyone else's base price before taxes and fees. That's who'll get my business if I ever buy another ranger.

Out of state dealers

It may be Different now, but whet to Alabama dealer in 2002 and bought a New ATV because they claimed no sales tax and didn't have to turn info over to Ga. Well they were right they didn't charge me any, about 2 weeks later I get letter from Ga. Tax Man. They wanted their money for the sale!!!
You know the old saying, "if it seams too good to be true it probably is".

Darkhorse

I bought a Polaris 600 twin in Chattanooga in 2003 and saved a bunch of money. NO sales tax. Too good to be true? I called the Georgia tax people and asked them. They said if you don't pay taxes when you buy it you want pay any when you get back to Georgia. That really made the deal for me. I called them one Wed. to see if they had my model in stock, they did, I added bumpers and a winch and it was ready when I got there early Friday morning. I was on my way home in less than 2 hours.
About a year later I got the first Tax notice from the state of Georgia. I ignored it. Then came the second one worded a bit stronger. I sent them a check.
I did some math. It wasn't such a good deal after all.
But the ATV was great and I use it hard. I rebuilt the rear suspension last fall axles and all. Gonna do the front this spring. Time and hard use takes it's toll on man and machine.

DEERFU

I bought a '17 honda pioneer 500 at Bama Power sports in Oxford for $1500 cheaper than a '16 model anywhere in the metro Atlanta area. And.....it was camo!

Latest posts