Encore Bbl ....TC or Bergara

fountain

looking at bps and the bergara is noticeably cheaper. i thought it was to be a more "custom/accurate" bbl than a factory encore bbl. it is a 26" bbl and i really want the 28" fluted, dont know why, but i just do.
if the bergara is actually a better bbl and cheaper then thats the way i will go. i have already had an accuracy issue with a 7 mag factory encore bbl before and definately do not want to do that again...that wound up being very costly in the ammo dept.
what yall think--bergara or tc bbl?

fountain

love the tc! got several good guns, including the tc!!
mostly bowhunt anyways, but the tc is versatile
aint worth a crap w/o a bbl tho

one hogman

Encore barrel

If It was me I would stay away from the 28" fluted rifle barrels they look good but have heard and seen several problems with not grouping well,the old solid 26" barrels tend to shoot better from most reports, Now on the ML side I have a Bergara 28" .50 cal that outshot my TC barrel.

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Honestly, if you are going to pay for a TC barrel you are much better off spending a little more and getting one from Match Grade Machine.

Bergara barrels are made in Spain by CVA.

If you don't want to wait the 8-10 weeks for a MUCH BETTER barrel than TC or Bergara then I would tend to agree with one hogman. Find a barrel that was made by TC before they were bought by S&W. They tend to be better quality.

mcagle

From my experiences I would go with the T/C barrel. I have a Bergera in 7mm-08 and it is 20 inches, but I can't get it to group at all. The best I can get is about a softball group at 100 yards. The T/C barrels seem to be accurate.

Razor Blade

I have about 8 barrels and all but 1 will shoot 1 inch or less on about any day. They range from 28 inch down to 24 inch barrels , and the one that does not shoot great is a custom shop 375 JDJ 18 inch. All i have had done to the gun is a trigger job and heavy hammer spring added . I love mine .

Jimmyp

the fellow that said get a good bolt gun is right you will have better "on average" accuracy, Larry Wisehuhn gets paid to shoot them I don't. Today I shot 4 257 TTSX bullets into 3/4 of an inch with a Kimber select classic roberts, there is nothing in Georgia I cannot take with this bullet at 3000FPS, I shot 5 165 grain Speer BTSP's into an inch with a Kimber Montana in 308, its way overkill for deer but hey its a 6.7 pound rifle with scope, sling, and 4 in the belly its my rain gun. What is the claim to fame for a break open single shot? Is it more accurate, Lighter, better looking, traditional?

I really would like to meet someone out at Charley Eliot that has a 1 inch grouping Thompson I really would like to try it out!

chuckdog

I've seen the opposite with the S&W purchase of T/C. Most of the Encore accuracy issues that I dealt with were prior to the buyout. I've owned a lot of high powered rifles of all configurations, it's a crap shoot buying any of them. While you expect to get a tack driver from them all, "because they all claim to deliver that level of performance." What you need to think about is service after the sale. I made the mistake of contacting Kimber concerning a 1911 about 4 years ago. I was treated like an idiot. "Kimber doesn't have any issues with their products, it's poor ammo or poor shooter skills." I also had a Montana in 300wsm that should have been named "Lightning", because it never hit the same place twice. If you get a good one out of the box with any manufacturer, that's great, but if you don't, look at customer feedback on customer support. Yes, I've had issues with T/Cs' products, but never their support. Great service, great people without attitude to speak with about your issues. That's worth a lot to me. I buy more new guns than the "Average Joe", I also setup, tune up, and zero most of my friends and co-workers new toys, so I see a lot of new gun problems. It happens with all production products, it's how you're treated after the sale that counts. I've not had many Ruger rifles that would shoot the way I'd like, but their service is second to none. Stag has great service, Remington's right up there with Kimber. You wouldn't believe the **** I heard from that company. Yes I still own a couple of T/Cs', no I don't have any Kimbers. Buy what you like, I'd go with the T/C, but I know Bergera builds a great front end loader, ask anyone with a newer CVA. I don't have any experience with Bergera. See if they have a good reputation with the people that have got a lemon or two from them. Good Luck with whatever you choose, ChuckDog!

30-338

Thompson Center has a $50.00 rebate offer on all Encore and Contender barrels, except the custom shop varieties, but toay is the last day to purchase one. You have until June 30th to have the form post-marked. The details are at the website. Sorry, but I can't help you with the Bergara/TCA issue because I only have the Contender barrels. The $50.00 rebate might help you with your decision though.