War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Galena man? Oh wait,you said Ohio,not Illinois.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I know but,I googled him. Will wait for others.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I not sure he was from Ohio, but I know Garfield died in office. So that is my guess.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That would be correct sir.

I am about overloaded with WBTS stuff for the moment. I just got home tonight from 2 days at the Ga Division SCV annual reunion at Bainbridge Ga. It was fun but a 6 hour ride getting home.

Last edited:

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If I may be permitted,while the winner rests,and gets a question ready. Which Union General supported John C. Breckinridge,and Jefferson Davis for Democratic Presidential candidates before the war? This person was later called "beast",and other non-flattering names.

RBM

RBM said:
What was the only ironclad cruiser completed and successfully delivered, and she arrived in American waters just in time for the end of the war? Hint: a twin-screw steamer, brig rigged, ironclad, sold to Japan after capture by Union and renamed Kōtetsu.

Can you name her sister ship built in France and sold to Prussia Oct 29, 1865 and named SMS Prinz Adalbert?

I know this is a tough one so I will give at least two days maybe a week before posting the answers if they still haven't been answered. Try your reference books first. Google as a last resort.

The answer(s) are:

CSS Stonewall

Sister ship is the Cheops.

westcobbdog

If I may be permitted,while the winner rests,and gets a question ready. Which Union General supported John C. Breckinridge,and Jefferson Davis for Democratic Presidential candidates before the war? This person was later called "beast",and other non-flattering names.

he was a beast..yankee Ben Butler.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Yessir,he sure was,and some other things that can't/shouldn't be said on this forum. Your turn now.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Its Gary's turn but while we wait, do you feel up to another naval question?

The CS Navy attempts to procure ironclad cruisers from overseas were frustrated as European nations confiscated ships being built for the Confederacy. What was the only ironclad cruiser completed and successfully delivered, and she arrived in American waters just in time for the end of the war? Hint: a twin-screw steamer, brig rigged, ironclad, sold to Japan after capture by Union and renamed Kōtetsu.

Can you name her sister ship built in France and sold to Prussia Oct 29, 1865 and named SMS Prinz Adalbert?

I know this is a tough one so I will give at least two days maybe a week before posting the answers if they still haven't been answered. Try your reference books first. Google as a last resort.

We still have an unanswered question above.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Sphynx and Cheops,Sphynx became CSS Stonewall,then Kotetsu

RBM

fishfryer said:
Sphynx and Cheops,Sphynx became CSS Stonewall,then Kotetsu

Yep, thanks. But I meant the CSN commissioned name CSS Stonewall. Not its name before it was CSS Stonewall.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Here's one,has anyone seen documentation for Confederate Marines? Can anyone provide a link for photographs of same?

RBM

fishfryer said:
Here's one,has anyone seen documentation for Confederate Marines? Can anyone provide a link for photographs of same?

http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2001/winter/confederate-marines-in-the-civil-war.html

I tried to find a photo of Colonel-Commandant Beall but there was only a drawing. But here is one Lt. Frances H. Cameron in CSMC uniform modeled after the British Royal Marine uniform below. Most had a grey frock coat with white or blue britches. From my understanding there aren't many original photographs of Confederate Marines. A captain here or lieutenant there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lt._Frances_H._Cameron_-_CSMC_Uniform.jpg

westcobbdog

As a young boy I was adopted by my Grandfather who was in the Army. He forbade me to join the military. He died in the 1830's leaving me a fortune of 100 million dollars or more. I soon joined the military or purchased a Lt. commission and fought Mexicans, who shot off my arm. At Civil War I was soon a Union Gen who rallied my men with reins in my teeth and saber in my good arm. At Chantilly I rode into a large body of Rebel infantry, refused to surrender and hugged my horse low and attempted a getaway...took many shots to the back and one bullseye that came in low/middle and exited the head. If he surrendered he would have been exchanged in 6 months or less.

Resica

As a young boy I was adopted by my Grandfather who was in the Army. He forbade me to join the military. He died in the 1830's leaving me a fortune of 100 million dollars or more. I soon joined the military or purchased a Lt. commission and fought Mexicans, who shot off my arm. At Civil War I was soon a Union Gen who rallied my men with reins in my teeth and saber in my good arm. At Chantilly I rode into a large body of Rebel infantry, refused to surrender and hugged my horse low and attempted a getaway...took many shots to the back and one bullseye that came in low/middle and exited the head. If he surrendered he would have been exchanged in 6 months or less.
You are Major General Phillip Kearney.

westcobbdog

I personally led my men with sword in hand through some serious fire to route the yanks out of their strong defensive position at Boatswain's Creek in the 7 Days , my boys captured 22 yankee cannons previuosly hub to hub and spitting out death. .

Status
Not open for further replies.