How to catch Shrimp for personal use?

hunter_58

Man i would love to go get some shrimp !!!!!!!!!!!!!

larpyn

For it. Where I shrimped, the best shrimp were found in 20-30 foot of water and without tape, it was useless.

My daughter used to love to go and would laugh and giggle at what we pulled up. Real quality time with her. When they changed the law, she was real sad and wanted to know why we couldn't go swimpin. I got all over my representatives and I am to this day not a fan of the DNR and they know it!!!! My daughter is now too old to want to go swimpin. Really sad and stupid move by DNR. There time would have been better spent enforcing the then current limits against local and out of town commercial shrimpers who were making a dozen daily "limit" trips per day with cast nets.

i applaud your efforts. i wish i could get motivated to do more when it comes to stuff like that. :cheers:
we as sportsmen need to be more proactive when we see a wrong being done. with that said i will be the first to admit that i haven't done my part. the older i get the closer i am to being more involved in that kind of stuff. it's all about priorities. it wouldn't hurt to skip a weekend fishing trip to go to a public hearing on hunting/fishing related issues. i need to do more for sure. good job mudducker

P

potsticker

Start with a 8 footer cast net and work your way up, when tides are moving, a 8 footer is great because you can throw it and retrieve it fast. Those big 10 and 12fts will get carried by the tide and have a tendency to snag on everything. Note: when casting the net, dont loose any teeth!

Confederate_Jay

Here's my .02 cents. Go with someone who has done it. It's a lot of work. You are going to have to hit the tides right, if you can find the shrimp, you are going to get wet and muddy, if you hang up your net on a shell bed or snag you'll probably lose or or ruin it, your back and legs will tire out quickly throwing the net if haven't done it before. You'll make a lot of throws where the net won't open up ( unless you tape it).

Right now shrimp are just too cheap for it to be worthwhile to me. You can find good sized shrimp for around $4.00-5.00 lb, just come to the coast and buy what you want, get a couple extra quarts and go fishing instead. It's a lot more leisurely and you'll probably enjoy the coast a lot more that way.

RUTMAGIC

I think your right, all that work I need a beer. I just wanted to try it out once in my life time. I've heard of some big shrimp being caught when you do it yourself.

MudDucker

Staff member
i applaud your efforts. i wish i could get motivated to do more when it comes to stuff like that. :cheers:
we as sportsmen need to be more proactive when we see a wrong being done. with that said i will be the first to admit that i haven't done my part. the older i get the closer i am to being more involved in that kind of stuff. it's all about priorities. it wouldn't hurt to skip a weekend fishing trip to go to a public hearing on hunting/fishing related issues. i need to do more for sure. good job mudducker

Thanks, but I didn't give up any weekends. I just wrote mean letters and harassed several politicians :bounce:

hortonhunter22

i seen some guys doin it under the panacea bridge down on the ochlocknee bay one time. the were sitting out there after dark with a light and a castnet. they didnt murder them but they had quite a few.

larpyn

Thanks, but I didn't give up any weekends. I just wrote mean letters and harassed several politicians :bounce:

you have done more than me then :cheers:
i was hoping you would have some kind of story about camping out on the capital steps or something while heating up a can of beans on a sterno can :eek::bounce: holding "web the nets" signs or something exciting and sacrificial.
oh well, the letters must have been enough ;)

Rick Alexander

one more tip

no matter how tired you are of throwing, don't forget to tie the line to your wrist so it won't come off when you cast. Don't ask me how I know.

$55 chaching. Suddenly you realize - hey I coulda just bought $55 worth of shrimp and been done with a lot less effort. I'm so cheap I dove in after it and got it back. Man that water is cold in early October.

One more tip - don't chew whilest casting or after a while the chaw begins to taste a bit like shrimp poo. Thank my cousin for that little tidbit.:bounce:

It was fun though. Super cool to see what came up with the nets and entertaining watching an amature (me)attempt to get that little torture device (8' net) to cooperate. I should have learned and practiced before I went but - what's the fun in that.

RJY66

I usually go shrimping a few times a year and try and catch my own bait shrimp when fishing for trout and reds.

Throwing a net is work, but a bunch of people I see work harder than they need to. First thing, don't buy a high dollar Calusa or Excalibur net for shrimping. They are good products but waaaay too heavy for shrimping. They are designed for offshore fisherman to use to catch bait fish, not for shrimping. Luckily the cheaper, lighter nets are the way to go. If you destroy one on oysters, it is not so expensive, plus they are much lighter. I would not go any heavier than a pound of lead per ft of net....3/4 would probably be better if you can find it. A calusa net for instance is 1.5 lb per foot so an 8 foot net weighs 12 pounds!

About oysters. Of course try and avoid them, but if you get on some do not panic and start yanking the net. You will certainly just tear it up. If you are in shallow enough water, get your boat over the net and try and gently pick it straight up....grab the horn and pull it up as best you can. If you don't cut the tuck lines, you can tie up any holes with mono fishing line and keep on going.

You don't need an 8ft or larger net to catch all the shrimp you want. I use an 8, but there is a trade off. The 8 footers take longer to empty and reload than say a 5 or 6 ft net. Then again, one shot with the 8 footer is worth two with a 5. Also, the larger the net, the harder it is going to be to pull in. I used to shrimp with an old guy who was a machine with a 5 foot net. He could really get it in and out. We would shrimp a tide and he would catch just as many as I would with my 8 footer.

I have not tried the net taping. It was illegal for a long time. I just cast along the marsh. I would like to catch some of the larger shrimp available with the tape nets, but you have to go in the right spots or you will kill yourself pulling up a net from deep water trying to find them. I would have to learn that game.

Go to calusa.com for a good video on how to throw a net. I can do it a couple of ways but I like this one the best. Just don't get one of their nets for shrimping......it will work the crap out of you. Whatever method you use, don't fight the net. Those leads will open it up for you once you get the hang of it. Cast net throwing is NOT hard. Anyone who can throw a frisbee can do it!

One last tip....if you go and catch a few mullet, do NOT throw them back if they are decent sized. Split them down both sides of the backbone and pull the backbone and the guts out.....butterfly them. Leave the scales ON! Put those babies on a charcoal fire skin and scales side down and cook for about 10 minutes, basting the meat side with butter and lemon juice. After 10 minutes, flip em over and sear the other side just a bit. Eat the meat away from the skin and scales and just toss it when finished. That is the way the "Florida Crackers" used to do it and man is it good. That is the best tasting grilled fish I've had....better than grilled salmon to me anyway, and a free by product of shrimping! Only eat them fresh....they don't keep well at all in a freezer.