Were you able to harvest plenty of deer for meat

specialk

deer meat is too gamey for my taste, I normally saw the horns off and give the meat away....

bulldawgborn

Hunted most weekends and 1 week in November. Could have killed all I needed before December, but was after a 6 year old ghost. I killed 1 buck the last week of the season and my dad killed a nice doe opening day. When I went to put my cape in the freezer, found a whole processed deer from last deer season we managed to forget about (last January was a tumultuous time) . :yeah:

Should be good to go until September

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Its hard to shoot a deer when somebody already shot its mama before it was ever conceived.

T.P.

Banned
No they aren't if so we would have a ten buck limit not two the three I did get this year are all gone now no hamburger or any meat left I feed three people I need five or six to last until next year so that's your opinion two bucks would not do for meat

Plus I saw maybe 15 deer all season shot three deer a spike a nybbin and a doe last year I shot two bucks and saw tons of deer didint shoot a single doe and didint see anything this year

Gracious.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
No. I haven't killed a deer since 2010. I have put a moratorium on killing does on my place and I didn't see a legal buck all year last year.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
No. I haven't killed a deer since 2010. I have put a moratorium on killing does on my place and I didn't see a legal buck all year last year.

How long have you put that practice in place down there? Have you seen any results?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

satchmo

We eat a lot of venison at our house. And we do take does for meat. We have several property's that we hunt ,so we are not really stressing any place to much. We don't have a very large population here in the mountains but we are blessed to get to hunt a lot.

Jim Boyd

We are overrun with them.

In SC, you darn near have to dodge them while walking to the stand.

In Illinois, the traffic during the period from 5-15 November is barely short of stunning.

If a retard like me can take 3-4 per year with the crossbow, you GOTTA know those jokers are everywhere.

If I were hunting a property that did not produce, I would find one that did.

I wish all hunters a great experience, every years - so we can all enjoy the sport we enjoy.

Jim

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yes , I killed 3 doe with bow , all in different areas on public land and could of killed to many to count , my daughter got 2 nice fat 2 yr old 8 points , and I also got 2 fat pigs , I've just gotten enough room in my freezer for some crappie filets and a few turkeys , so I think I will be just fine , I hate to buy meat from a grocery store , and usually don't !

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yes , I killed 3 doe with bow , all in different areas on public land and could of killed to many to count , my daughter got 2 nice fat 2 yr old 8 points , and I also got 2 fat pigs , I've just gotten enough room in my freezer for some crappie filets and a few turkeys , so I think I will be just fine , I hate to buy meat from a grocery store , and usually don't !

Sounds like wild life beware.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We are overrun with them.

In SC, you darn near have to dodge them while walking to the stand.

In Illinois, the traffic during the period from 5-15 November is barely short of stunning.

If a retard like me can take 3-4 per year with the crossbow, you GOTTA know those jokers are everywhere.

If I were hunting a property that did not produce, I would find one that did.

I wish all hunters a great experience, every years - so we can all enjoy the sport we enjoy.

Jim

Kind of funny that SC also has had no limits at all on bucks for many years in most areas, and a five-buck limit in the rest of the state, but restricted doe harvest. And lots of deer. Hmmm.

deast1988

I think my dad took 5 I took 7. After giving some to the landowners that allow us to hunt we have plenty. I saw 112 from the tree last fall low by some standards but I had a good year. 1 buck with trad gear. Only buck I saw during rifle season was moving to fast to see how big he was. But they say u can't eat the antlers anyway. My year was avg about like the last 5-6years in my books.

doe harvest dropped by 100,000

doe harvest dropped by 100,000 (-37%) from 2014 to 2016.

I would have sworn you would have said the hunter harvest reporting numbers were off.

Estimate and swag are the same thing.

s&r

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
When doe days were at there highest point. The average deer hunter only killed 2-3 deer.
From all the gun shots I heard during gun season doe days I don't think it made a whole lot of difference in the two countys I hunted.