Preserving un-treaded lumber outdoors

j_seph

I built a fence aling the front of our property. I used locust post for a more rustic look. Also I went with untreated, rough cut true 1x6 boards. Turned out pretty well, I placed post every 6 foot and weaved the boards between post and alternated each one 4 high. I have heard use burnt motor oil, diesel fuel but seems one might get into a little trouble spraying that. Not decided if we wan't to paint it or not as the rough wood looks pretty good. What have y'all used with sucess?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Spray it with Thompson's or similar with a garden sprayer. About the same as diesel.

Cmp1

BANNED
I've used Behr deck stain with good results,,,,definitely wouldn't recommend Behr paint,,,,

Last edited:

PappyHoel

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
On log houses, we use to mix 5 gal diesel fuel, 2 gal of used motor oil, and 1 gal on transmission fluid. The transmission fluid gave it a red tint. We would spray it out of a pump up hand sprayer.

jigman29

wait for a hot day and saturate it with used motor oil. When it's hot the wood will soak it in better and will make for a very long lasting finish. We have a couple plywood dog boxes we did this way and they are in great shape several years later.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I have used some cheap black fence stain from Tractor Supply.

The online reviews were not great but I tried it anyway. Still looks good 4 years later.

bany

What wood did you use? Hemlock or yellow pine I hope. Those will hold up a long time and you could treat or color them way down the road.

j_seph

What wood did you use? Hemlock or yellow pine I hope. Those will hold up a long time and you could treat or color them way down the road.
Yellow pine

Attachments

• received_2121428914757924.jpg
    received_2121428914757924.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 222

JackSprat

The used motor oil will work, but it's a hazardous material, and I'm wondering if you ever go to sell the house will it cause an issue.

I've seen an oil pit where maintenance on trucks was done stop a multi-million dollar land deal.

I don't know and not saying it will but it's something to thing about, unless someone has a definitive answer.

bany

An oil base stain.
If you use motor oil or the like I believe that you’ll be stuck with it. ie other products aren’t going to work any longer. Which may be fine for you. If mama wants a colored fence later?
TWP may be the best clear protection if you want weathered.
You’ll have to clean it if you go with a transparent or semi-trans. To get that pretty color you may pick out. Olympic, Sherwin, Cabot aren’t bad products.
There are a few black lacquer/asphalt products.
Just protect the ground if you use oil.
Seal the ends the best you can.

rospaw

I'm a 50% diesel with either 50% new hyd oil or motor oil for a honey color stain or 50% used diesel motor oil for a blackish color. If you want the reddish color use 50% trans fluid.

Older fellow down the street with a mile plus of fence uses
2 part roofing tar, 5 parts diesel, 5 parts hydraulic oil. He mixes the tar and diesel first until all the tar is broke down. Best on a hot day. Then he adds the hydro and mixes well. He sprays it out of a 100 gallon tank with a high pressure fuel pump that he modified for this purpose. Uses what i believe is reg backpak sprayer wand on a longer hose. Doesn't have to weedeat around the fence for many months. :rolleyes:

Cmp1

BANNED
I'm telling you, just get some Behr stain, I can get a pic when we get rid of the snow, I happen to have used a red tint,,,, has lasted about 4 years, had my boy redo it last year,but don't ever use Behr paint or primer, really junk, ask me how I know,,,,

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'd go with your first thought.

If you are not on a water shed, spray away.
If you are, just make sure it don't contact the ground.
You can get away with a little as long as you are careful
not to thumb your nose at the county.

Any petroleum product will work. Waste oil, transmission
fluid, whatever.

My Granddaddy used kerosene to thin. (it was cheap then)

Diesel will work just as good.

PS.. Any additions or whatever that can be removed and put back,
put your mix in a 55 gallon drum and dip it. If to long, let
it go a few hours then flip it.

There are still a lot on the old farm my Granddaddy did
this way that are still hard as a rock 70+ years later.

He used a lot of Cedar for post too. I don't even think he treated them.