Anyone use mullet for catfish?

JackSprat

Way back, strips of mullet and especially mullet guts were a go to catfish bait. It was cheap and readily available.

Fresh mullet is hard to find locally yet we are overwhelmed with Vietnamese tilapia - go figure.

Any way, is anyone still using cut mullet for catfish?

Big7

The Oracle
In South Carolina. All the time.

Way down Bainbridge is the only other place
I know where you can catch them to eat or for bait.

There must be some near coastal GA.
I just don't go there much anymore.

But yeah, they will catch them.

hunterofopportunity

Take a 5 gallon bucket to your local fish house, they will usually fill it as they clean fish. I used to do this before going shark fishing, just put in freezer, ready to chum when you start fishing.

JackSprat

Take a 5 gallon bucket to your local fish house, they will usually fill it as they clean fish. I used to do this before going shark fishing, just put in freezer, ready to chum when you start fishing.

That's the problem, we don't have a fish house. Ingles is the only grocery store to that's low brow enough to even have a mullet, and it comes in already dressed on a tray.

If I go to Atlanta, I will stop by one of the Asian markets or Dekalb Farmer's market and get some fresh mullet.

We used to have an excellent fish house, but it is long gone.

1gr8bldr

It's not great bait for cut bait due to the fact that they don't bleed. However, live, I have caught many 50 lbers on them. But be advised that a 12 inch mullet in the bait tank is almost impossible to get out. LOL, anybody out there who has tried it is laughing because they know. They are a blast to catch on rod and reel. They are sight feeders. In the Peedee river they eat moss and musscels. We fish with marsh mellows and set the hook the moment we see them about to take it. If you don't set the hook fast, they spit it out. We use a white cork, to draw their attention, affixed at the end of the line, then the marshmellow, 15 inches in front, the line not tight but no slack, keeping the marshmellow on top, then don't take your eyes off it

greg_n_clayton

No mullet since the invention of the blue back herring !! One more thang.....do not cook them indoors !!

mlandrum

YES THEY WORK GOOD IN THE ALTAMAHA!! I used cut mullet the first of the season

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (33).jpg
    FullSizeRender (33).jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 175