War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Sure was an optimistic assessment. I think I read that it took several hundred pounds of gunpowder and nearly a thousand of lead or iron to kill a man during the War.

RBM

JustUs4All said:
Sure was an optimistic assessment.

Now come on, Jim. You know that Southern boys are better shots than any Federal ever was.;)

Which side took more battlefield casualties during the WFSR?

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
What the Southern boys would have done with modern equipment. Can you imagine marching to within sound of a battle with no weapon, hoping to pick one up when you got there?

How about facing an opponent who had a metallic cartridge repeating rifle while you had a muzzle loading cap lock?

What about running out of ammunition and holding a position by throwing rocks at a well armed enemy?

My hat's off to them. I guess that could be the next question.:)

Where did all that rock throwing take place?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think one rock throwing took place at Second Mannasas.
Some Louisana fellows ran out of ammo and went to doing some hand to hand and rock throwing rather than retreat.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
At least one southern fort was built in a really bad location, which contributed in part to its capture.
Such a bad location that the February rains would raise the water of a nearby river enough to allow someone to enter the gates of the fort in a boat.

What fort was this ??

Up front hint, a Union officer who became famous later during the war was involved in taking this fort.

RBM

Milkman said:
At least one southern fort was built in a really bad location, which contributed in part to its capture.
Such a bad location that the February rains would raise the water of a nearby river enough to allow someone to enter the gates of the fort in a boat.

What fort was this ??

Up front hint, a Union officer who became famous later during the war was involved in taking this fort.

I can get half of this one. The Federal officer was US Grant. That I knew but I had to cheat since I did not know the name of the fort (you know how many forts there are in the South?) so I will let someone else guess the fort.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Half cigar each to Robert and Gary.

U. S. Grant and Fort Henry it was. I was just reading about that last night in a recent edition of the Stainless Banner, neat little newsletter.

http://www.thestainlessbanner.com/

Resica

Name the island in the Delaware River near the mouth of the Delaware Bay that served as a prison camp for Confederates during the war, especially Gettysburg prisoners.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Name the island in the Delaware River near the mouth of the Delaware Bay that served as a prison camp for Confederates during the war, especially Gettysburg prisoners.

I think you are referring to Point Lookout prison. I think there were 2 in that vicinity but that one was the more infamous.

Gary,
I have a short book written by a 24th Ga soldier captured at Gettysburg that spent time in Lookout if you are interested. Matter of fact Jim has it now and can send it to you next if you want.
MP

Resica

I think you are referring to Point Lookout prison. I think there were 2 in that vicinity but that one was the more infamous.

Gary,
I have a short book written by a 24th Ga soldier captured at Gettysburg that spent time in Lookout if you are interested. Matter of fact Jim has it now and can send it to you next if you want.
MP

Mr. Marvin,
I'd love to read it. Thanks

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Gary, PM an address and I will send it your way next.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
E H Sutton, the 24th Ga man who was captured at Gettysburg was first imprisoned for about 3 monts at Fort Delaware and then transferred to Point Lookout.

He commented in his book (written in 1907) that it was a mud island and that a piling driven down 20 ft did not hit solid earth. All types of disease and pestilence were there and men died by the scores. The bodies were carried over and buried on the Jersey shore.

Status
Not open for further replies.