War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
At the outset of the battle of Cedar Creek the Federal commander was 15 miles away at Winchester. There is a grand poem recounting this famous ride and his arrival in time to to turn the tide of the battle. While he was on his ride our boys were engaged in an activity that might have had much more of an impact on the final outcome of the battle than the arrival of Sheridan. What was it?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
At the outset of the battle of Cedar Creek the Federal commander was 15 miles away at Winchester. There is a grand poem recounting this famous ride and his arrival in time to to turn the tide of the battle. While he was on his ride our boys were engaged in an activity that might have had much more of an impact on the final outcome of the battle than the arrival of Sheridan. What was it?

I think I remember that our boys captured a lot of supplies perhaps including liquid refreshment in the in initial apparant victory. However if this were the case I am sure my great grandpa and the other boys of the 24th Ga from the hills of NE Ga didnt partake ....::gone:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yep, and your turn again.

After the our initial early morning attack the Federals were driven from their camps in full retreat. It is said that instead of keeping up the pursuit, many of our boys paused to enjoy whatever the Yanks left behind. Surely the Columbia County boys of the 10th and 16th GA would have shared whatever they came across with their friends in the 24th.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think I remember that our boys captured a lot of supplies perhaps including liquid refreshment in the in initial apparant victory. However if this were the case I am sure my great grandpa and the other boys of the 24th Ga from the hills of NE Ga didnt partake ....::gone:

Yep, and your turn again.

After the our initial early morning attack the Federals were driven from their camps in full retreat. It is said that instead of keeping up the pursuit, many of our boys paused to enjoy whatever the Yanks left behind. Surely the Columbia County boys of the 10th and 16th GA would have shared whatever they came across with their friends in the 24th.

I think that in White Co. Ga where my Great Grandpa was from making white liqour was a more honorable profession than preaching. ;) If those boys in the 24th found the booze first I doubt those in the 10th and 16th ever saw more than empty bottles. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dang it now I gotta come up with something to ask yall dont I :type::type:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am reading the book "Killing Lincoln" it is taking me in detail through Lincoln's final month. So here is something from April of 65.

April 1, 1865. Which Confederate General was attributed the heavy losses at a major battle in VA.

What name was given this battle ? Hint there is a number in the name.

For a bonus point..... what was that General doing while this battle occured ?

Last edited:

pstrahin

I am reading the book "Killing Lincoln" it is taking me in detail through Lincoln's final month. So here is something from April of 65.

April 1, 1865. Which Confederate General was attributed the heavy losses at a major battle in VA.

For a bonus point..... what was he doing while this battle occured ?

Grant forced Lee out of his entrenchments in the "Battle of Five Forks" but I do not know what Linclon was doing at this time. I will have to study.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Grant forced Lee out of his entrenchments in the "Battle of Five Forks" but I do not know what Linclon was doing at this time. I will have to study.

Battle of 5 forks is correct!!

I am looking for the name of the General credited with that loss.
I also edited my question above to clarify that I am asking what that General was doing at the time of battle. I can see how you mis-interpereted it as Lincoln the way it was worded.

pstrahin

Battle of 5 forks is correct!!

I am looking for the name of the General credited with that loss.
I also edited my question above to clarify that I am asking what that General was doing at the time of battle. I can see how you mis-interpereted it as Lincoln the way it was worded.

Sheridan? I think.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

For a bonus point..... what was that General doing while this battle occured ?

Sheridan. He was at a fish fry, i think?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It was Gen. Pickett. He was at a Shad bake that Thomas Rosser(maybe) was throwing.

Pickett it were.................. the hot potato is now yours Gary. Be gentle on us feeble minded with your question ;)

Resica

I'm thinkin. This may take a bit. Mr. Marvin, I mailed your package on Saturday, should be there in a few days. Thanks again.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinkin. This may take a bit. Mr. Marvin, I mailed your package on Saturday, should be there in a few days. Thanks again.

That Sutton fellow was pretty smart to survive prison camp the way he did it, huh ?

RBM

Its Gary's turn but while we wait, do you feel up to another naval question?

The CS Navy attempts to procure ironclad cruisers from overseas were frustrated as European nations confiscated ships being built for the Confederacy. What was the only ironclad cruiser completed and successfully delivered, and she arrived in American waters just in time for the end of the war? Hint: a twin-screw steamer, brig rigged, ironclad, sold to Japan after capture by Union and renamed Kōtetsu.

Can you name her sister ship built in France and sold to Prussia Oct 29, 1865 and named SMS Prinz Adalbert?

I know this is a tough one so I will give at least two days maybe a week before posting the answers if they still haven't been answered. Try your reference books first. Google as a last resort.

Last edited:

Resica

What Ohio native entered the army in the civil war as a lt. colonel and died as commander in chief?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Redheaded, and named after Shawnee chief? With a proclivity for warring on civilians?

Status
Not open for further replies.