Save the firefly!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Still a lot of lightning bugs around here.

T-N-T

I have been sayin for years that the insecticides being sprayed all over these fields around here are killing the little fellers.
I HARDLY see one around the house.
I see them if I camp on the river in a WMA because there are no fields close by. And in the mountains while camping. Again, no fields.

shakey gizzard

:)
I have been sayin for years that the insecticides being sprayed all over these fields around here are killing the little fellers.
I HARDLY see one around the house.
I see them if I camp on the river in a WMA because there are no fields close by. And in the mountains while camping. Again, no fields.

I'might put up a really high fence and start farming them!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Still plenty around here.

NOYDB

BANNED
but based on anecdotal evidence firefly (aka lightning bug) populations appear to be fading

Meaning they don't know, but if they raise more fuss they can get more funding.

mowing your lawn less

cause discovered: it's all Sinclair's fault.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I see less around here.

On a recent trip to Oklahoma and Kansas driving at night, I saw more than I have ever seen in one place along that stretch that night.

ryanh487

ya know, i haven't seen any around my neighborhood in a few years now. Used to be clouds of 'em. never really thought about it. my HOA started having the place fogged for mosquitoes 2 years ago too.

sinclair1

Meaning they don't know, but if they raise more fuss they can get more funding.

cause discovered: it's all Sinclair's fault.

It very well could be, I spray talstar and others pretty regular, but I don't just believe what suits me. Of the millions of bugs I kill, I am sure I get some lighting bugs, but I ain't living in a house full of roachs, Zeka skeeters and rats to save them, nor will I trade snakes for them by letting the grass grow two foot high.
We all got a nasty letter from some eco group about the high price of pretty grass. Neighbor said dr oz had a honey bee show on the week before and riled up folks .

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
It very well could be, I spray talstar and others pretty regular, but I don't just believe what suits me. Of the millions of bugs I kill, I am sure I get some lighting bugs, but I ain't living in a house full of roachs, Zeka skeeters and rats to save them, nor will I trade snakes for them by letting the grass grow two foot high.
We all got a nasty letter from some eco group about the high price of pretty grass. Neighbor said dr oz had a honey bee show on the week before and riled up folks .

Fireflies breed and live in marshy areas, you know, the ones they drain and fill in to make new housing developments.

Short a few fireflies? Can't imagine why.

But quick panic!

sinclair1

Fireflies breed and live in marshy areas, you know, the ones they drain and fill in to make new housing developments.

Short a few fireflies? Can't imagine why.

But quick panic!
I take what ever responsibility I have in it, already explained why it won't matter. As we stand today on this sissy world, everything I do is bad. I spray chemicals, drive gas guzzlers, fish, fly drones, use regular paint, run the Ac, run Ac at a weekender that a staving family could have, own guns and the list goes on, but guess what .............that's all I have to say about that !

NOYDB

BANNED
I take what ever responsibility I have in it, already explained why it won't matter. As we stand today on this sissy world, everything I do is bad. I spray chemicals, drive gas guzzlers, fish, fly drones, use regular paint, run the Ac, run Ac at a weekender that a staving family could have, own guns and the list goes on, but guess what .............that's all I have to say about that !

Quick run the house and catch some fireflies in a jar with no holes in the lid.

Then put them on the grill.

GA native

I have plenty of lightening bugs in my lawn. My anecdotal evidence says the population is just fine.

But watch the fascists on the left seize upon this. They will blame it on climate change, lawn mowers, and the dreaded middle class lifestyle.

Last edited:

Bill Mc

All I have is lightin bugs.