Eastern Coachwhip

swamp hunter

I've seen several Indigos down far South here.
You folks that are talkin about them striking out at you didn't see an Indigo, one of the calmest snakes out there.
I walked upon a 7 footer one day and sat down beside him and picked him up, put him in my lap. Their real thick bodied snakes and shine like a Crows wings black..
We bonded and he just moseyed off.
Hunting Pard ran up on one about 2 years ago in Taylor County Fl.
It was eating another snake and he just took pictures.
Seen one Coachwhip also in Taylor county Fl. Didn't know what it was but I looked down at my pocket to get my phone and he was Gone!! Greased Lighting for sure.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
When I lived in Florida in the early 80's working for a land surveying company I saw 2 indigo snakes on what is now know as Grand Cypress golf course and community. Where our house was in Apopka we had a froze out 1000 acre orange grove for a front yard, we always were riding or walking up on coach whips.

godogs57

Here is 7, 7 1/2 feet of Government Issue coachwhip. I ran into this ol gal here in Lee County, just north of Leesburg. One of the most ornery snakes I've ever encountered. She came at me repeatedly and seemed to enjoy racing around the woods. Fast, I'll say that. For reference, she is about as big around as midway up my forearm. Healthy ol gal.

Snake_1.jpg

As far as Indigo's I've ran into two down here. One on Senah Plantation which runs along the Flint and one in downtown Leesburg. Got a call at my office (USDA) about a "shiny black snake out by my pool". Shiny? Hmm....might be an Indigo? I better go before someone takes after it with a hoe. It turned out to be a young three foot Indigo. Picked it up, carried it off to a local plantation and turned her loose.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I ran up on a coachwhip about 15 years ago. The snake was in the 8 foot range and definitely not friendly. It lunged at my four wheeler when I came upon it. When I exited my scooter, it came after me for a few yards. I left it alone. I thought the coachwhips were a South Georgia snake but I was in Randolph County Alabama.

I have never seen an indigo snake and only one coral snake.

swamp hunter

Good picture godogs. Thanks for posting.

godogs57

Good picture godogs. Thanks for posting.

She was coming at me as I snapped the pic. Never gave up...just kept chasing. Thought it was funny. Not afraid of em at all but she was a hoot. Would raise her head up off the ground like a cobra and take off like I owed her money or something.