This happen to me today

Nugefan

brandishing a firearm isn't a crime now ???????:huh:

Wild Turkey

My daddy told me never to pull a gun on a man unless im 100% going to shoot and the trigger better be on its way back when I draw. He could have shot you dead and said he was in fear of his life aka self defense.
In the future keep you weapon in you pocket unless your gonna use it. Otherwise your going to get caught with it in your hand and that's embarassing.

J.D. Squire

Imho Punks and gangbangers are the only folks that should be flashing guns. That being said I can't say what I would have done in that situation.

leoparddog

My general rule is, if I have to show it, I'm going to HAVE to use it.

In this situation, I'd been dialing 911 as soon as he forced me to stop or got out of his car - I try to keep my doors locked and windows would be rolled up. If he smashes the window, beats on the car or tries to open the door, I'll be on the phone with 911 by then.

If he manages to bust the window or somehow gets the car door open if I haven't locked it, then I really have no choice. He's determined to cause me physical harm and not just cuss me and I'll have the 911 audio tape to back up my side of the story.

If I couldn't get to 911 or my phone? Same deal he'll have to put his finger prints on my door handle or smash the window and try to get to me.

The best thing to do is avoidance. If he gets out of his car and you can pull around him and leave him standing there - do that and call 911 cause he'll probably chase you. If you can't escape, then defend. Passively first by locking doors and rolling up windows and then active defense only if you have to.

I'd want proof that I was in danger and his prints or damage to my car would help greatly in any legal procedings.

One thing EVERYONE should think about....HAVE A PLAN! When it comes to defensive situations, it not only requires you to be situationally aware, but to have a plan when something goes wrong. This goes double when your safety and/or life is at stake.

Its when you don't have a plan of action if XX happens, that you react without thinking through the consequences and you end up like the poor guy above..convicted of aggravated assault.

stratos201

I’ll give a different prospective because I’ve been on both sides of the fence. Meaning, someone pulling out in front of me or visa versa (by accident). I’ve noticed that when someone has pulled out in front of me, if they simply show some sort of acknowledgement that they were wrong and did it by accident, I immediately cooled down. So, my point is that if you would have acknowledged that you did it by accident he may have not became so angry. Again, I’ve been on both sides and we all make mistakes but a simply wave of the hand or a look and say I’m sorry can stop a lot of bad situations from happening. If this is done and the individual continues his rant then the gloves are off and it's on.

Hello Plumber, I believe that I would have done the same thing. I have found out the hard way that it is expensive and very stressfull on a family to defend yourself even though your life is threatened. My advice is to call the police whenever a situation starts to escalate.

Brad

I see alot of this stuff since I am a truck driver and my truck is governed at 62 miles per hour. What you did is what I would have done but you need to see if Ga. has a concealed carry law. I have a concealed weapons permit but if I carry it in my truck where I need it most it is a felony.

kevozz

My daddy told me never to pull a gun on a man unless im 100% going to shoot and the trigger better be on its way back when I draw. He could have shot you dead and said he was in fear of his life aka self defense.
In the future keep you weapon in you pocket unless your gonna use it. Otherwise your going to get caught with it in your hand and that's embarassing.

I know your daddy meant well, but that is awful advice from the Wild West. I used to think the same thing. If you have ever taken a concealed weapons course (i've taken one in GA and FL, but i'm far from being an expert), they tell you that in almost all situations simply letting the aggressor know you have a gun is enough to defuse the situation close to 100% of the time. They teach if you have to pull your weapon, be prepared to use it, but you don't have to use it. Your brain is your most powerful weapon and a drawn weapon is a strong deterrent.

Plumber, seems like you avoided a lot of problems and you handled it very well.

I totally agree you should call 911 in a situation such as this and have an escape plan, but remember, you have to protect yourself/stay alive until the LEO arrives. You may be blocked by other traffic or the agressor. Some places i've lived the closest LEO is at least 15 minutes away, especially in smaller towns that can't afford law enforcement. They had to rely on the Sheriff.

contender*

I see alot of this stuff since I am a truck driver and my truck is governed at 62 miles per hour. What you did is what I would have done but you need to see if Ga. has a concealed carry law. I have a concealed weapons permit but if I carry it in my truck where I need it most it is a felony.

How so???

Joe r

Im Glad Notthing Bad Happen I Hate To Trun The New,s On An Someone Eles Has Been Kill .be Careful Out There:banginghe

P

potsticker

it aint safe on the roads. Thats why i dont pack iron, id loose my head and use it and feel bad about it till i died. Weve all had someone on the blind side, we pulled over, they got mad. i think that law bout changing lanes, when a car is pulled over in the emergency lane causes more problems than it solves.

matthewsman

as far as the cuttin' off thing..

Up this way on 20 in Dekalb and Rockdale and Newton,other than a few speed traps at Salem and West avenue,there is little traffic patrol.The counties seem to be interested in drawing revenue off passing through speeeders and the occasional seizure of drug runners money and cars to help feed the county or municipalities budget.

I drive those searches daily and am amazed at the bumper tagging morning commuters,the strings of 6 or 7 crotch rockets ,and various others zigzagging through the traffic at 90 +...Often times I am going in the low 70's with a speed limit of 65 in places in the middle lanes and am passed on the right by a bumper scraping few inches and the they dart back over barely missing my front bumper.

I wasn't there when the incident Chris reported happened,but it wouldn't have been unusual for the person behind him to have been swerving also to avoid Chris at the time he also was changing lanes.

It seems to me that a casual"I'm sorry" of waving a hand wouldn't have done much good in that situation.

Chris ain't a big guy,maybe only 6'3" and 280 or so, but he's strong for his size:bounce: so the guy is lucky he only had the gun shown to him.

Those of you who drive around here often,like Potsticker,have seen what I mean..folfs crossing the rumble strip to pass you getting on the expressway..others cutting off several cars at exits to get off from the far left lane...The same idiots blocking intersections trying to squeeze through a light at 138 and 20 shutting down the whole flow of traffic....and the whole time,the police are sitting under 2 bridges trying to collect fines on all three shifts...:rolleyes:

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
here in north georgia, any LEO will tell you that if you threaten to whip a guy's a**, you're guilty of 'terroristic threats', which will land you in jail. but, if you're 'in fear for your life', and shoot the guy, chances are you'll get off free. stupid laws passed by stupid people. but, to survive in the system, you have to know how to work the system.--steve

Mr W.

The best thing to do is avoidance. If he gets out of his car and you can pull around him and leave him standing there - do that and call 911 cause he'll probably chase you. If you can't escape, then defend.

Good advise. If he got out of his car, so what you just drive off if you can get around. Keep a close eye on him on the way around in case he has a gun too.

teethdoc

That guy who hassled you is a fool.
Coming back to someone's car to start trouble is very lame. He could have been blasted by someone who didnt show more restraint and self control than you did.
On the other side of the picture, get yourself about a 3 foot piece of heavy chain and a small hatchet. Epoxy leather belt loops in each so they can slide over your wrist and dont drop.
Chain in one hand, hatchet in the other....get out and tell him to come on and get some. One swipe with that chain will change his mind very quickly...I've seen some HUGE tough(?) guys drop when that chain got them.
Remember this, someone who is really trained in hand to hand serious combat and prison fighting self defense isnt likely to have the hot headed temperament of some of these "tough guys". A trained professional will usually let things like that go ,keep calm, and just move on.
Its those who THINK they're baaaaad who come back after you and usually bite off more than they can chew.
Forget that bum, he is nothing. You have my congratulations for not just blasting the worthless loser anyway and getting into trouble with the laws.
Have a happy new year.
Regards,
Douglas<==has his four killer cats do all his fighting for him:bounce:
You are right on about the chains. I was asking a tow truck driver if he carried a pistol, and he said he brought down a "big ol boy" one night with his chains and a J hook.

Buck Trax

Defense of property other than habitation; Lethal force cannot be used to protect personal property unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.(16-3-24)

(Stand Your Ground/Shoot First/License To Murder - went into effect July 1st, 2006) If you have determined you need to use lethal force (as stated in one of the underlined "Defense" sections immediatly above) you do not have to try to retreat before using that force. If your defense is valid, you are immune from criminal prosecution (unless it is illegal to carry that weapon where you used it) and civil liability actions.(16-3-23.1, 16-3-24.2, 51-11-9)

So... I think if you sat in your vehicle with the gun ready, and he tried to break in you would be justified in shooting. I wish they were more clear about displaying a firearm.