Navionics Accuracy (lanier)

coxman

I used the navionics hotmaps chip for the first time this weekend on lanier. I noticed that some well known humps are not even marked!

I thought for sure they would be on the navionics chip as they are clearly marked on the maps you buy at walmart. Have you guys noticed this too? I wouldn't think I have a "bad" chip.

Someone keep me honest, number 123 on the "walmart map" is in ~15feet of water right now. My chip shows ~40 feet and the brushpile that sits in 25feet shows 60 feet on my navionics chip! (N 34.11.34.2; W 84.01.45.8)

Were my expectations of the chip too high??? I thought at the very least it would show all the humps that are displayed on the walmart map.

bbrueck

coxman,

Keep in mind that the lake is currently 7' low. Chart(chips) depths are based on full pool water level.

Don't know which version of the Hot Maps chip you have, but the following info is from my Navionics Hot Maps Lake Maps Premium South. Also don't know about the "Wall Mart" maps. Is it the Atlantic Mapping Inc. GPS map of Lanier?

Now for the fun part. My Navionics chip actually shows two humps in very close proximity (~265 ft apart) to your coordinates, but only one shows the Atlantic Mapping Lanier map so you may be seeing the "other" one.

Here are the coordiates of both humps taken from my Premium South chip.

34* 11' 36.24"
84* 01' 43.2"

34* 11' 35.52"
84* 01' 46.8"

Lanier Jim

Make sure you're set on the Navionics setting in your chart setup. I would think it has a setting that says North Georgia...or something along those lines. I use the Navionics Hotmaps chip and it does a great job on my unit.

Just my 2 cents -

LJ

alexmlane

I cant speak for Lanier but I can tell you that Navionics is not 100% accurate and the cards to vary from year to year.

I was running a creek for the first time on Eufaula and according to 2010 Navionics card at my console I was in the middle of the channel. I hit a stump and freaked out so I trolled out of there. I then noticed that the 2009 Navionics card at the bow showed I was nowhere near the channel.

I called Navionics and they told me they dont make mistakes and it was an issue with my electronics. This is not the case because I swapped the cards and the information on the 2009 card is much more accurate on Eufaula compared to the 2010 card.

fishingga

Have not noticed the problem on well marked humps but have noticed it where main lake channels and creek channels meet. Also zoom setting makes a difference sometimes.

Lanier Jim

I'll have to look to see what year my chip is...but my Hotmaps chip is pretty dang good. Might be the zoom range that was mentioned...I adjust mine at times if it looks off some based on what my sonar is showing. My best guess - 90% of the time - it's pretty accurate. Then again - I never fish humps or ledges :)

LJ

coxman

I spoke with a navionic customer service rep. He stated to provide the cordinates on where the inaccuracies occur and they will research. He said they will eventually update and send me a new chip.

I am dissapointed two of my favorite humps aren't even marked on navionics. However, maybe that's a good thing. :)