Falcon Lake

28gage

If you haven't been yet you owe it to yourself to get down to Falcon. The catching is just crazy..........This was my forth trip and can't wait to get back next month....
2011FalconLakeAugust11.jpg

great fish, what did she weigh, close to 10? you going yourself or is someone guiding you? weren't there mexican bandits on that lake?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
From everything I have read the U.S. side is very safe. I enjoy reading Alton Jones updates on Facebook. He has been going every couple weeks fun fishing. They have been catching 50-100 fish a day and he caught his personal best last week...something like 12-4 lb.

28gage

We fish the Mexican side of the lake 85-90% of the time, never feel nervous but never go far up the rivers on the Mexican side. It was far up the Salado River (6 or 7 miles) where the shootings happened. Only a fool would go that far into Mexico theser days. The US side is covered up with border patrol boats and the Mexican marines are patrolling their side. All the guides and friends that fish down there fish the Mexican side. The netters are hard working folks who fear the cartels and were gone when the zetas ran almost everyone off the Mexican side of the lake. Having the netters back is a sign that the marines have done their job and cleared the drug runners off the lake. The copter is on patrol and fly over us serverl times the week I was there in August. Never felt safer. The lake is deep but the shore is mostly flat, if you stay out of the backs of the coves you could see anyone on shore for hunderds of yards. The fish in the picture was a 9+ but the best pic I have. We have caught fish to 11lb. and have seen fish to 14lb.
copter.jpg

c-rig king

Don't know about fishing somewhere that I need copters flying around to feel safe. Never caught a fish worth that risk, but that may be just me. To each his own-good luck in the future there.

28gage

Nice fish, I hope you tote some major heat.:shoot::hair:::gone:

You don't need it and it would be a very bad choice to carry heat on the mexican side. If they were to stop you for a check of you papers and found it you would spend some mucho unpleasent time in a mexican jail. A 20ft Skeeter with 250 on the back is all you need. But no problems on their side for a long time. Only problem I'm aware of is some folks decided to run when asked to stop and some warning shots were fired. But like fishing anywhere if you get checked it's always best to cooporate.

Last edited:
I think you still ought to be able to carry a firearm. Bad things have happened on those waters in the past.

Randall

Nice fish. I love the shape of those fish.

I took a guy fishing that came up from Falcon last year and asked him about how safe it was. He says the US side is safe as anywhere in the US but he wouldn't fish very far at all into the Mexican side and his family was from Mexico. Good to hear they have done something to make it safer. I would like to go there someday to see if I can catch a few of those big fish.

GTN

I have a buddy from TX that fishes Falcon several times a year. He pretty much says what 28gage say's. Stay out of the rivers and you are safe. He is in love with the place. I hope to get down there with him this winter.

i bet there are big fish in those rivers, water must be stained, that fish is as white as a ghost