I reckon I'm good on incandescent bulbs for a while

rjcruiser

CFLs are junk. LED...well...they're the cats meow.

That being said...they're super $$$

sinclair1

Bought all that Walmart had on the shelf.

Hoard 'em while you can. :bounce:
:fine: I have about the same amount of regulars, where it hit me was the chandelier,ceiling fan, three way bulbs and flood light supply.
We can save all the energy we want, but if you think the power company will just accept a rapid drop in revenue, you must have bumped your head.
Once Led takes over they will start raising prices because we sure are not building houses to create new customers.

This is about the same as the tobacco companies running the stop smoking ads, it's good for your health, but do you really think they want you to quit.

The bulb manufactures will have to get on the I phone type system, where they come up with a new bulb every 6 months to keep you buying, due to them lasting longer.

I see it going down just like the corn free gas, they will lobby for a loop hole and be able to sell regular bulbs for three times what they are now, just like corn free gas.

Once you open your eyes you see a pattern, I know several people who replaced a perfect plasma tv, for a LED to save the power hungry plasma. Who do you think is the real winner here?

Companies have found that we want the best, and that if a new best comes out every six months, we will replace a perfectly good product. How many gopro cameras, iPhones,fish finders, etc have come out in the last two years.

I am sure some will say the technology is getting better daily, so if you want the best, you have to keep up. What if they could have produced the forth model from the get go, but opted to get you there after your forth purchase.

Maybe gas has stayed up due to cars getting better fuel economy, perhaps you think your saving money paying 3 times what you paid ten years ago and getting two times the gas mileage. Maybe look at the richest companies in the world and see who gained a few spots while you were bunny hugging.:flag:

Last edited:
Mark my word, bookmark this, whatever you have to do. Incandescent bulbs will not be hard to find any time soon.
LEDS last a long time, but like any other electronics the cricuit board will go out. You hear alot about bulb life, not the life of the boards.

Luke0927

Same here for some reason my smaller cans in the kitchen eat the cfls...its the ones closest to the oven I think the heat rising. Its a double oven so the top one is chest high...all I can figure.

Almost all new can lights are IC (insulation contact) rated. They are sealed off with either foil tape on a solid housing. If your having issues go in your ceiling and remove the insulation from around the housing. Im not suggesting anyone do this but it seems to me if the can can breath it wont retain heat as bad . You know, the tape falls off or something :)

the HEED!

Banned
:fine: I have about the same amount of regulars, where it hit me was the chandelier,ceiling fan, three way bulbs and flood light supply.
We can save all the energy we want, but if you think the power company will just accept a rapid drop in revenue, you must have bumped your head.
Once Led takes over they will start raising prices because we sure are not building houses to create new customers.

This is about the same as the tobacco companies running the stop smoking ads, it's good for your health, but do you really think they want you to quit.

The bulb manufactures will have to get on the I phone type system, where they come up with a new bulb every 6 months to keep you buying, due to them lasting longer.

I see it going down just like the corn free gas, they will lobby for a loop hole and be able to sell regular bulbs for three times what they are now, just like corn free gas.

Once you open your eyes you see a pattern, I know several people who replaced a perfect plasma tv, for a LED to save the power hungry plasma. Who do you think is the real winner here?

Companies have found that we want the best, and that if a new best comes out every six months, we will replace a perfectly good product. How many gopro cameras, iPhones,fish finders, etc have come out in the last two years.

I am sure some will say the technology is getting better daily, so if you want the best, you have to keep up. What if they could have produced the forth model from the get go, but opted to get you there after your forth purchase.

Maybe gas has stayed up due to cars getting better fuel economy, perhaps you think your saving money paying 3 times what you paid ten years ago and getting two times the gas mileage. Maybe look at the richest companies in the world and see who gained a few spots while you were bunny hugging.:flag:

Gas is the biggest swindle in the market, it goes up because we continue to consume it, and as soon as some Ali Baba pitches a fit from whatever country we are importing it from, its sends the market into a spin and then it reflects the price the oil companies feel like gouging on for a while at the pump. BUT, this is something we cannot and are not going to see change because no one really, in Govt or the public wants to really change it, just like they dont want to change to a more energy efficent light bulb. Its easier to do the same than make a change that requires sacrifices to change society.

The Federal Govt shut down electric car research in the 80s because the oil tycoons were stuffing money in Uncle Sams back pocket to kill the chance of it taking hold. Only now has it come available but is expensive to maintain for what carmakers are offering it because oil companies dont care about better technology, they want to sell oil.

As far as the next best thing, get the new I Phone, swap out my one year old TV, yall can have that, Ive never cared for Phone dorks anyways, Ive got a phone, its plugged in, in my kitchen. Like Phil Robertson, Im a low tech man in a high tech world.:biggrin3:

well maybe im a little high tech, i think cfl bulbs are better. better than they were anyways.

Last edited:

dick7.62

I wouldn't mind the CFLs if they lasted as long as they claim, but they don't, at least not at my house.

They don't last long at my house either. No longer than incandescent. I only have about 5-6 dozen incandescent stocked up. I buy a few every time I see them. Bought some today. Led would be the way to go if they weren't so expensive. Here is a link that compares the 3 types of bulbs:http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led comp chart.html

dick7.62

I had a cfl bulb go bad. Today I tried to remove it. It shattered into a million pieces. I guess I was covered with mercury and phosphor and needed a hazardous materials team but I just vacuumed it up. Maybe it won't kill me. However I won't buy any more cfl bulbs. I took a risk and ordered some LED bulbs off e-bay, direct from China. They are less than 1/2 price compared to retail in this country. E-bay supposedly protects it's buyers so maybe it's not too risky. I'll see how they work out and if ok maybe I'll order some more.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My main concern is that at work, we are supposed to call the hazmat team if a CFL bulb breaks. However, the risk of the same bulb at home seems to be blown off by advocates. Either way, the mercury is still in them.

This^. Wouldn't buy a CFL bulb if my life depended on it.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV

Prozac and likker are your friends . . .facepalm:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
why would you want to use them? theyre antiquated technology, burn hotter, and use twice the energy of the same bulb in CFL. Thats why theyre no longer gonna be manufacturing them.

yea but, if one of them circle looking twisted bulbs breaks, it will kill me and my family...........facepalm:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
They don't last long at my house either. No longer than incandescent. I only have about 5-6 dozen incandescent stocked up. I buy a few every time I see them. Bought some today. Led would be the way to go if they weren't so expensive. Here is a link that compares the 3 types of bulbs:http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led comp chart.html

here neither....plus when its cold they take a bit to even light up...they are JUNK.

jmharris23

Something's gonna kill me....it may as well be my light bulbs :D