Custom Fishing Rods

Reel Nauti

Hey guys,

I'm just looking for feedback. I've made a couple of custom rods for myself and my buddies over the years. I really enjoy the meticulous nature of building them and striving to make every detail as perfect as possible! I've been contemplating building some as a side business, but I wasn't sure about whether or not there was a market for custom fishing rods. Personally, I'll never buy a mass produced rod again but everyone has their own opinions. If you wouldn't mind, drop me a line for or against custom rods so that I can gauge whether or not this is something that I should consider doing as a business. Thanks in advance, and tight lines to everyone!

Snookpimpin

when I was in high school I worked for a shop and built rods. we had about 100 or so rods on the shelf and were building custom orders everyday. it was like any retail some days I could sell 30 rods other days I would just be building rods to put out on the racks. we also were located in south Florida 2 miles from the beach so not sure what kind of demand your area would have. i have thought about starting again since i still have some equip. if i were to do it again i would just run it out of my garage and advertise online. wouldn't do the store front again it was just to much with all the venders and overhead selling reels and tackle. if you build quality rods the word will get out and you could keep busy enough to make some good side money. just my two cents

I too build rods and yes I believe you could easily turn it into a business. If were younger I would be looking into the one for sale above. Heck I stay pretty busy just building them for family and friends.