Axe handle

flyrod444

After making hatchet handle while back decided to try a axe. The only dry wood I had on hand was red oak which should work fair. Made this handle with octagonal shape which feels great in my hand. The head is an old plumb victory head that weighed just shy of 2 pounds. Handle is 28" long.
Jack

Attachments

• IMG_20180306_162358042-680x510.jpg
    IMG_20180306_162358042-680x510.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_20180306_162627226-510x680.jpg
    IMG_20180306_162627226-510x680.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 344

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mighty nice. I made myself a camp ax out of an old hatchet head and a piece of straight grain hickory I had drying out in the barn a year or so ago.

Attachments

• camp ax.jpg
    camp ax.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 343

flyrod444

Thanks, nicodemus like your camp axe alot. I plan on putting some hickory up to dry for future handles.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
444, it`s surprising how much work you can do with the little axes. Especially to be so light. To me it`s easier to hold and control than a heavy ax. I do keep mine whetted to a sharper edge than normal too.

Give that oak handle a coat of boiled linseed oil and it`ll last.

Cmp1

BANNED
After making hatchet handle while back decided to try a axe. The only dry wood I had on hand was red oak which should work fair. Made this handle with octagonal shape which feels great in my hand. The head is an old plumb victory head that weighed just shy of 2 pounds. Handle is 28" long.
Jack

Beautiful work,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Beautiful work Nic,,,, how old is your draw knife?

That particular one is less than 10 years old. It was a gift from The Redhead, so I would quit using my Great Grandfathers drawknife which is now around 150 years old. :D

I have a couple of them, and use them all.

Anvil Head

Yeah, love the little axes. We always called them cruising axes (forester thing), but still the same - light, fast, and effective. Got me out of a lot of backwoods jams and built many a shelter with it. Think mine is an old Plumb as well. It resides under the back seat of my truck, always ready.
Nic, ever give a draw knife to a young "expert" and watch him struggle? Think I've got a total of six, made four of them in smaller dimensions for working down stocks back in my BP rifle making days. Have to dig them out for a photo op.

wvdawg

Staff member
Fine work gentlemen. Both look fantastic!