Trout Gear

Shadowcast

So here in Florida I usually roll with a 3 rod quiver, 6, 8, 10. I am looking to revamp my quiver to go a little lighter so my stuff can double work when I visit GA....hence my classified ad. I'm going to roll with a 5, 7, 10 going forward in FL. I plan on adding a 3 for trout. My question is when looking at a 3 wt, what length rods are you using? Are there any specific lines that are good all arounders (Royal Wulff preferred) in 3 and 5 wt? Is a 7 wt too heavy or would it be suitable when fishing trophy browns? Thanks!

Mexican Squealer

3-5-9 covers me just right. Depends on what you mean by trophy browns...pellet pigs or just quality fish? I go with a 5 wt on bigger waters if I'm anticipating larger fish, 3 wt for brookies and all smaller waters . I use 4wt weight forward line on a TFO 3 wt and love it...think its 7 ft something. I fish a 9wt for Reds here on the GA coast. I like the castability of a 9wt over an 8 when wind comes into play.

Shadowcast

I figure the 7 will take care of me on pretty much anything down here up to 30#. My skiff floats in 6" so I can find protection. The 5 will be for those days when they're laying up in 6" and I need to throw a bonefish fly on 8# tippet. But I figure the 5 will do well on trout too. As far as trophy browns, my friend Eric Estrada did a short video called "5 wt. Chronicles" somewhere in GA and they were easily 24"+.

jigman29

I have two rods. A 3 and 6wt and they work for all my fishing. I have caught bass at 5lb on the 6wt and got by ok. Im sure I coulve used a bigger rod but I see no need to spend the cash. So I would bring a 3wt and a 6 and you should be covered. But I honestly haven't taken the 6wt out in a long time when trout fishing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I do most of my fishing with a 8' 3 weight. Perfect for most trout fishing. I chunk big streamers for browns and smallmouth with a 9' 7 weight sometimes. I have caught several trout over 20" on the 3 weight.

Mexican Squealer

I figure the 7 will take care of me on pretty much anything down here up to 30#. My skiff floats in 6" so I can find protection. The 5 will be for those days when they're laying up in 6" and I need to throw a bonefish fly on 8# tippet. But I figure the 5 will do well on trout too. As far as trophy browns, my friend Eric Estrada did a short video called "5 wt. Chronicles" somewhere in GA and they were easily 24"+.

I do a bunch of fishing for tailing reds and would not choose a 7wt. Plenty of backbone to handle catching most fish but horrible to cast vs a 9 wt if you have any wind at all. Not sure what you mean by finding protection. You are better off fishing where the fish are and being able to make tha cast count.

Shadowcast

I do a bunch of fishing for tailing reds and would not choose a 7wt. Plenty of backbone to handle catching most fish but horrible to cast vs a 9 wt if you have any wind at all. Not sure what you mean by finding protection. You are better off fishing where the fish are and being able to make tha cast count.

Different territory down here in Florida. Sometimes you gotta find fish in protected area for your clients to be able effectively throw the fly rod and present to fish. I usually use a 6 or 8.

WPrich

I mostly euro-nymph and for that I use a 10 ft 3 WT rod, I've caught rainbows over 20 inches on that rod. I also have a 9ft 5wt tfo, that was what I started with and I think it is a do it all you can fish nymphs and also fish small streamers like wolly buggers no problem with it. As far as the trophy browns, I think a 7 of 8 at will do the job. I'm personnally looking into purchasing a 7wt myself to chance after them on the days I want to put the nymphing rod down.