Fishing in cherokee and deep creek

FARMS100

I'm looking at fishing in the bryson city area in early NOV.
how much of deep creek is private property, I have never fished there before. Also the tuckassgee runs thru bryson city and is stocked, when does the delayed harvest start.
Any tips would be very nice. THANKS
AL

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The vast majority of Deep Creek is on the national park, but there is a little private land on the lower end. The national park part is all wild trout, and good fishing.

The delayed harvest starts October 1st.

Early November is a great time to tie into a big spawning brown.

61BelAir

All the tubers should be off Deep Creek by now I'd bet. My class ring has been at the bottom of a hole up there since about 1991, but at least the kid I jumped in after lived.

FARMS100

I will fish the DH on the tuckasegee river, I think that next week I will ride up there and look things over as I have only fished the river thru Cherokee once, there are 3 good places to fish.
I'M not sure which one I will forus on . I'm lending on the deep crk and the tuck. That way i will only have to buy 1 set of LIC.
If you know a good place to stay for 2 of us for nov-3-4 let me know that also.-------THANKS AL
I know the difference in the rivers I phased it wrong, tuckasegee runs thru bryson city, sorry about that

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I will fish the DH on the tuckasegee river, I think that next week I will ride up there and look things over as I have only fished the river thru Cherokee once, there are 3 good places to fish.
I'M not sure which one I will forus on . I'm lending on the deep crk and the tuck. That way i will only have to buy 1 set of LIC.
If you know a good place to stay for 2 of us for nov-3-4 let me know that also.-------THANKS AL

The Tuckaseegee doesn't run through Cherokee, that's the Oconoluftee, which is a tributary of the Tuckaseegee. If you fish Deep Creek inside the national park, you will only need a NC fishing license. If you fish the delayed harvest water on the Tuck, or the lower end of Deep Creek outside the park, you will need a NC fishing license and a trout stamp. If you fish on the Cherokee reservation, you only need a tribal permit. Confusing, huh? :)