Aging, DNR tooth removal

twincedargap

So what’s the process to find out the age of a bear one kills after the DNR has pulled a tooth? Who do I contact ? And how long does it take?

CornStalker

Twin, they usually wait until the end of the season and then send all the teeth off to a lab in Montana for aging. I was told my that it would be around August before they received those results. HOwever, you have to call their main office to get those results. I have yet to do so---completely forgot about it.

twincedargap

Twin, they usually wait until the end of the season and then send all the teeth off to a lab in Montana for aging. I was told my that it would be around August before they received those results. HOwever, you have to call their main office to get those results. I have yet to do so---completely forgot about it.

Thanks!

meatseeker

It was October of the next year before I was able to find out and I started calling around July. I was told they all go to the same lab and they do it for other states as well. So be patient. Expect to wait till late summer. This is the guy to call the last I knew. Adam Hamond 706-295-6041

twincedargap

From Adam Hammond, via email:
We’ve not yet received the bear age results back from the lab for the 2017 hunting season – for bears harvested in N. GA. I expect to have them back by mid- to late-October.