Chattahoochee Squealer

Killer Kyle

I was fortunate enough to be able to drop this young boar two days ago on Chattahoochee WMA here in the NE GA mountains. I haven't been hog hunting much this year because of other obligations, but I went out to scout three days ago and found some good sign. I decided to jump on it, and went back the next night with the .308.
The hogs came into the field at 6:02 p.m., and they came into the field where I was watching two does feed. The does didn't see the hogs, and the hogs didn't see the does because of the hump in the middle of the field between them. I saw the hogs coming through the trees, so I ran the does off, and began an open field stalk towards the hogs. It was well after 6:00 and I was losing light fast, so I moved quickly. I closed the distance from +- 250 yards to +- 100 yards. I sat down in the open field, and leaned back against my big pack, and rested off the knee. My first shot dropped the hog in its tracks, but I closed the distance anyway since the hog was still kicking and I put another round through the top of the skull to end the ordeal. This was a young boar. Cutters only maybe nearly an inch. He was multi-colored. That is a trophy to me because all I can ever seem to shoot up here is black hogs. I have been wanting a colored mountain hog for the last couple years now, and finally got one. It was a great day to be able to cut another of one of these wild rats out of the herd. I hope you guys are coming up here and putting in the legwork to help us remove more hogs. Most hunters sit and mope and cry when deer season is over, and they eat junk food and wait for the Super Bowl. They don't understand that big game opportunities are still out there for the next two months. They act like big game season is over. Stop crying, and get out there and start killing pigs. We need more real pig killers up here in the mountains, and sadly, there are almost none. If you complain about mountain deer and turkey hunting being slow, you had better be putting your money where your mouth is, and had better be up here in the hills killing pigs!!! I wish you all happy hunting for the remainder of the season!!!

21djsrp.jpg

1z2f8jq.jpg

Last edited:

FOLES55

Nice bacon right there buddy!!

Big7

The Oracle
Folks laugh at my NEF in .243.

Right until the hammer drops. ;)

Good hog!

Killer Kyle

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Big7, I know what you mean. By and large, NEF guns are associated as introductory or youth guns. I just can't help it though. I love them. They are so simple, so solid, accurate, affordable, and the nostalgia of them is also part of the reason I love them. I currently own three, and restored and upgraded one for a gift for a buddy of mine.
That .308 has killed a pile of game. She did just fine on that boar a few days ago.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Way to go Kyle....Nice pig!!:cool:

Killer Kyle

Way to get on them Kyle! That one looks kind of calico colored. Very cool looking!

Thanks J! We'd better be seeing a new hog killed thread within the next day or so here on the forum!!.....::ke:

tree cutter 08

Nice hog kyle! Said all season I'm gone wear em out after deer season is over and only been back in the woods 1 time since season closed. Gona get at them one more time!

Killer Kyle

There's still time Cutter! Get on out there man! I've got a few places I've been meaning to check myself that I haven't gotten around to this winter!

bany

Y’all are using big guns up there! Without digging into the regs are the wma’s different policy for firearms than the NF?
Nice job on the pigs!

bany

Okay I looked, Fox and bobcat.

Big7

The Oracle
Thanks a lot guys!!!

Big7, I know what you mean. By and large, NEF guns are associated as introductory or youth guns. I just can't help it though. I love them. They are so simple, so solid, accurate, affordable, and the nostalgia of them is also part of the reason I love them. I currently own three, and restored and upgraded one for a gift for a buddy of mine.
That .308 has killed a pile of game. She did just fine on that boar a few days ago.

I have three as well. :cheers:

One, my first gun that my Daddy and Uncle shared
as kids a long time ago.
Daddy was just a few days short of 77 when he passed year ago, January.
That one is the old, long barreled jobs with
walnut stock in .410. (very sturdy and heavy)
I started on that one at the ripe old age of 9

My "go-to" turkey is a tiny 3 1/2 " chamber
in 12 ga. All camo taped up an ready to go.
Killed a LOT of turkey, deer and one hog with that one.
If you want to get the snot knocked out of you, this is the one you want.

The aforementioned .243 has a heavy, tapered barrel,
not a bull but close. Ain't no telling how many critters
took a "dirt nap" with that one.

Killer Kyle

I have three as well. :cheers:

One, my first gun that my Daddy and Uncle shared
as kids a long time ago.
Daddy was just a few days short of 77 when he passed year ago, January.
That one is the old, long barreled jobs with
walnut stock in .410. (very sturdy and heavy)
I started on that one at the ripe old age of 9

My "go-to" turkey is a tiny 3 1/2 " chamber
in 12 ga. All camo taped up an ready to go.
Killed a LOT of turkey, deer and one hog with that one.
If you want to get the snot knocked out of you, this is the one you want.

The aforementioned .243 has a heavy, tapered barrel,
not a bull but close. Ain't no telling how many critters
took a "dirt nap" with that one.

Regarding the recoil, I have heard the very same thing many times about the H&R turkey guns. I've heard the recoil is something else. I'm sure it's a fairly heavy fum, so I'm guessing it has to do with the style of stock and how the recoil is directed?

humdandy

Banned
Congrats!

I was up there for the past 7 days........found your carcass last weekend.......went back yesterday evening and it was GONE......and I mean GONE!

My guess is a bear took it off! I looked around because I was hoping the hogs came back to eat it.......

Upper Chatt. campground is tore up with fresh hog sign.......never seen that much sign. There was a little bit of sign at Low Gap.

Also Brasstown Bald.....the entire picnic area is slap tore up with hog sign!

They must be hungry!

Killer Kyle

Congrats!

I was up there for the past 7 days........found your carcass last weekend.......went back yesterday evening and it was GONE......and I mean GONE!

My guess is a bear took it off! I looked around because I was hoping the hogs came back to eat it.......

Upper Chatt. campground is tore up with fresh hog sign.......never seen that much sign. There was a little bit of sign at Low Gap.

Also Brasstown Bald.....the entire picnic area is slap tore up with hog sign!

They must be hungry!

I was up at Low Gap checking less than two weeks ago. Couldn't find a lick of sign. The sign you found must have been recent since I have been there.
I got word today there was a bunch of sign up around the Upper Campground. I haven't been back in there in a while. We ain't got much time to go in and get on them now. Season is over in less than a week! Sure do hate to see it go!

As for the carcass, a bear probably did take it. Yotes might have been able to drag it off as it wasn't a giant hog, but the weather has been nice and I have been expecting the bears to be out on the move with these temps in the 70° range. Bear can hardly turn down some good wintertime protein like that. I was hoping that it would get to stinking with these warm temps, and I might be able to go back this weekend with my mouse squeeker call and bring in a yote to drop before dark, but according to your report, seems like that ship has sailed!
I've heard lots of reports in the last year that yotes will hardly eat a dead hog. I have heard that repeatedly. A few days ago, I looked at a pile of 3 dead hogs at the edge of a food plot that have been there for a while now. They were all 100+ lbs. Yote tracks were all over the field, and several were near the hog carcasses (within feet), but not one yote has touched them. Not a single one. I talked with the DNR guys from Lake Russell WMA last year. They had been trapping pigs, killing them, and piling them up. They put trail came on the piles of carcasses to see what they could see, and they never got any pics of yotes eating the carcasses. Only buzzards. One of them said he never, ever sees sign of yotes eating on the pigs they kill and pile up.

Anybody else notice anything like this? I wasn't sure about what they told me until I saw the hog carcasses the other day with yote sign all around within feet, yet no feeding sign.

Last edited:

humdandy

Banned
I was up at Low Gap checking less than two weeks ago. Couldn't find a lick of sign. The sign you found must have been recent since I have been there.
I got word today there was a bunch of sign up around the Upper Campground. I haven't been back in there in a while. We ain't got much time to go in and get on them now. Season is over in less than a week! Sure do hate to see it go!

The entire campground at upper chatt. was rooted up!

Sporadic at Low Gap.

bany

The yotes prefer fresh pork I believe. Seems odd but they will kill an occasional pig and mostly leave previously dead ones alone.