280 Rem

280 Man

Banned
I cobbled some IMR 7828 together with 154 gr Hornady SST bullets today and these were my results.

Top left measures .555 as compared to the other at just over one inch. It's amazing what a half grain difference in powder charge can make sometimes..:biggrin2:

But to be honest, I'm not sure that the "shooter" wasn't at some fault with the stray shot since the other two are so close..

Gonna go next week and "prove" my results...:D:D

Attachments

• Groups.jpg
    Groups.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 389

wareagle700

280's are easy to load for.

Mine really likes 140 Accubonds over H4350.

bullgator

One group of each tells you nothing. The human element is the main difference in that. You really need to shoot several groups of each and average the results.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I would think that 2 3 shot groups would tell you where your SD and ES would be if you are tracking it. Depending on where it was could tell you where to start playing with seating depth.

rosewood

One group of each tells you nothing. The human element is the main difference in that. You really need to shoot several groups of each and average the results.

Yeah, but that 3 shot group makes you feel warm and fuzzy for awhile.::ke:

280bst

I have a Ruger .280 Mark II for at least 35yrs. It 's group constantly touching each other. Federal Vita-Shock 140 gr. & Hornady Vita-Shock 139 gr. Might want to take a look at those. The only variable is me

35 Whelen

I load 140 grain Nosler Accubond over 57.0 grains of RL19 for my son's 280, very accurate load in his Remington 700 Mountain Rifle.

Darkhorse

If you shoot multiple groups, each one with a variable changed, and document the data well, and label and retain the targets, then one (1) 3 shot group might turn out to be golden. Simply because it tells you what is working and what is not working, and provides you with a starting point for further testing.
When first testing loads I have targets with 3 targets per sheet. I shoot each one in order having written the pertinent data on the target. When I get home I scan the targets into a file then copy and paste to Publisher or Word, then create text blocks for the data and populate them. The targets are then saved into another file and the originals go into a notebook. Now the targets can be studied at my leisure and I make decisions on what to try next.
To use your target as an example, understand that I've been considering barrel osccilation and nodes (sweet spot) as gospel with very good results.
One of your loads shot into .555" which is very good. But increasing the charge by 1/2 grain opened it up to 1.0, what often happens is the tight group is exiting right on a node. By increasing the charge the bullet moves faster down the barrel and exits sooner and off the high point of the node.
Changing powders, charge weights, and seating depth will all contribute to this particular result. There are several nodes in the length of the osccilating barrel, before and after the one that gave you that great group, so if you need greater or lessor speed you simply work towards another node.
Before I decide on a load I will fire several groups of 5 shots, sometimes a 10 shot, and a couple with a cold, cleaned barrel, such as would be the situation in hunting.
These targets were all shot with minor changes in powder charge or seating depth and shows the effect by group size and location.
I never use OAL anymore. I measure to the ogive and any seating depths will be from the bullet ogive to lands etc.

Attachments

• Group1 (800x614).jpg
    Group1 (800x614).jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 258
  • Group2 (2) (800x614).jpg
    Group2 (2) (800x614).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 260
  • Group3 (2) (800x614).jpg
    Group3 (2) (800x614).jpg
    229 KB · Views: 256

rosewood

That definitely shows how important seating depth is when you are trying to fine tune one.

Just curious, if you remember, after you fired group B on 3/14, why did you come back and try varying the powder again? Trying to see if you could get those good groups with more velocity? Also, did you go back to Group B 3/14 and are you able to duplicate or nearly duplicate those results?

Rosewood

Darkhorse

If I can remember that far back......
60.5 grains is what I consider a mild load for the Rem. 7mm magnum. I was hunting a powerline out of a box blind on a hill and I could see and shoot some really long distances. So, yes, I was working towards good groups with higher powder charges.
This rifle had sit in the gun safe about 15 years while I hunted with other rifles. When I finally decided to hunt with it again I found that the forend had warped and was putting so much pressure on the barrel the blueing had worn off in that spot. It was shooting all over the place. So I cut out the warp and bedded the entire rifle. I wasn't sure if I needed a new barrel or what, so in the beginning I was shooting to test the rifle.
As for repeating the accuracy I did get it to consistently shoot some tight groups. The limiting factor was my eyes are old and I was only shooting a 10X scope.
I also managed a load that shot 63 grains into around .600, this load also repeated and it was the one I chose to hunt with.
I thought the old rifle did pretty well with the factory barrel.

Attachments

• Cold Barrel3 (786x1024).jpg
    Cold Barrel3 (786x1024).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 150BT (720x960).jpg
    150BT (720x960).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Final test 7mag (991x741).jpg
    Final test 7mag (991x741).jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 221

creation's_cause

Back to the 280...nice groups I also have a Ruger Mk II in 280Rem...great shooting round, not much recoil, and deadly on deer!! Love mine too.

280 Man

Banned
Back to the 280...nice groups I also have a Ruger Mk II in 280Rem...great shooting round, not much recoil, and deadly on deer!! Love mine too.

I really like my 280. I'm not as concerned as some are with every fps they can get out of a rifle..When I find what Im looking for, I stop. Guess what, I'm happier than a pig in mud...:D:D

Dallen92

280 is all I carry to the deer woods anymore. Have 4 differnent rifles in that cal and they all shoot great. Got an abolt 1, abolt 2, xbolt and a rem 700 mtn rifle.