question about cold water maceration

cburns

this is my first attempt at water maceration and ive had a skull soaking sence jan 1st. with the cooler temps how long should i let it soak? i really dont want to deal w it more than once. taking lid off to check water level was bad enough.

thanks
c.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Why not boil it? Done in four hours and no stink if fresh.
Removes stink if not.

If its been in there since Jan 1, It should be ready. I started one about then and it is ready. Pressure Wash, Simmer in Dawn about 10 min, Pressure Wash, Simmer another 10 min, Wash one last time and should be done. about 30-4 0 min total.

humdandy

Banned
These are mine from this past season.

Took some photos during our snow storm..

Attachments

• 2017season.jpg
    2017season.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 511

ProAngler

THOSE look great humdady. I like the off yellow/brown white color better than bright white bleached look

cburns

thanks for the advise, was worried about the oils staining the bone w simmering.

humdandy were those buried?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
The net said 10 days so yours is surely over due by now.
Pressure wash it and post up a pic. Maybe I’ll do your cold method next time without boiling.

humdandy

Banned
THOSE look great humdady. I like the off yellow/brown white color better than bright white bleached look

Thanks

thanks for the advise, was worried about the oils staining the bone w simmering.

humdandy were those buried?

I did bury them both. I killed them in mid October........I left the hide on the head.....you can cut it off for faster results. I left them in for 6-8 weeks. I rinsed with a mixture of water and peroxide. Mostly peroxide.

Worlldbeater

I tie a rope around the antlers and suspend it under water in my pond. It works as as as any other way, just takes a longer than boiling it. Nature does all the work for me.