6.5 Grendel users

ProAngler

What have your results been on deer, or any large game for that matter? I have shot at and killed one deer with mine which was my biggest deer to date. It was a 121 inch 8 point that was probably 4.5. I am not good at guessing weights so I am not going to through one out there. The deer only went about 10 yards and dropped, after a 150 yard shot, which I was initially pleased with since it was the first deer I shot with the caliber and I was eager to see performance.
But looking closer there was not a drop of blood anywhere on the deer or otherwise. I could not find the entrance hole until I skinned it. The organs looked like what you wold want ( a soupy mess), but the zero blood trail this would have produced concerned me. Luckily the deer drooped and it was no issue, but if it would have ran 70 yards I may not have found it. Its only one data point so I don't want to make it the end all be all. If you have not used this caliber before, Have you had this happen with proven calibers? Caliber sized entrance before expansion, and no exit or blood trail? I was using a barnes sold copper

8pointduck

What grain bullet was it? That has happened to me before using Barns bullets. .300 WSM, 150 gr. TSX. That makes no sense coming from a copper bullet. If it were a ballistic tip, then I could see it.

ProAngler

What grain bullet was it? That has happened to me before using Barns bullets. .300 WSM, 150 gr. TSX. That makes no sense coming from a copper bullet. If it were a ballistic tip, then I could see it.

120 grain. Which part makes no sense? Not getting a pass-through? I was definitively expecting a pass through from my past experiences with Barnes bullets. I shot a doe in the head one time with a Barnes and it went through the head sideways then went all the way through a hind quarter and exited. That was a 308 though.

8pointduck

120 grain. Which part makes no sense? Not getting a pass-through? I was definitively expecting a pass through from my past experiences with Barnes bullets. I shot a doe in the head one time with a Barnes and it went through the head sideways then went all the way through a hind quarter and exited. That was a 308 though.

Yeah, not getting a pass through. That 6.5 should definitely do it. Did you happen to hit a bone ? Bullets can do some crazy things sometimes. Don't give up on it. See what happens. Do you load your own or was this factory ammo? What is your barrel length? It does make a difference with the Grendal.

ProAngler

20 inch barrel with Alexander arms ammo. Hit him right in the should blade broadside. I need to see what happens with a regular double lung begind the shoulder. Which is where I normally aim

bradleyjanes06

I shoot 7.62x39 with 123gr federal powershocks 3 out the 4 I've shot have been all pass through clean one though this past year stopped just behind the skin on the other side of the deer. May have hit a bone or maybe powder issue but I'd say give it a few more tries don't let the first one dissuade you from the round.