United States Corp Of Engineers Lake Lanier NOTICE

boatbuilder

How so?

I guarantee you there were dozens and dozens of cars not actually paying for their passes and slipping under the radar. If nothing else, the pass required areas will see a lot less traffic and maybe lanier will calm down a bit.

See the post just below yours.

If there is no cash option then you have to pay the 3% banker tax every time you park.

The banker tax is built into the price of almost everything so it is hidden but you can see it at places that give cash discounts.

Not to mention a bunch of money was given to a vendor to implement a system that makes it more difficult to use the lake. What happens when the machine breaks?

I got a $50 ticket from the corps once on Clark hill for not having a parking pass. I just forgot. If there were really dozenzs of people doing that everyday and not getting caught someone high up at the corps needs to be fired. That could easily cover someone's salary.

luigi

A lot of people are not aware that for a lot of business accounts, dealing in cash with their bank is not free either. For at least some accounts, they are charged when they deposit over a certain amount of cash in a cycle. For one account I knew it was over $1000. There were also fees when you withdrew large amounts of cash, such as might be needed to stock cash registers for providing change. Dealing with cash is not always free to the business. In the long run it is probably less than the credit card fees. Some look at the savings in time and staff realized with electronic transactions. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages.

I am all about giving people options. I agree that one should be able to pay with either cash or credit. But I understand why some businesses want to take the cashless approach. And even with the COE taking the cashless approach here, I think they should provide people the option of using some type of day pass at the 6 parks without a card machine, versus forcing them to use an annual or lifetime pass.

natureman

You can purchase a Corps annual pass or America the Beautiful pass and just not worry about it. You can even walk in to their office and pay in cash if that makes you happy. The ATB annual pass is good at just about every federal rec area nationwide.

As one who was responsible for managing the recreation user fee collection at Lake Lanier from 1994 to 2009 I can tell you it was a giant pain. Collection, accounting, transport and audits all added up to a big use of manpower that could have been better spent doing more important things. Early on all collected fees went to the US Treasury and only in latter years was any returned to the lake to enhance operations. In the Corps, Lake Lanier has always been on the leading edge of anything new so you will probably see it popping up at other lakes.

Paying 3% is nothing and I would have gladly paid more to have it back then. I wish them much success with the their new cc machine program. Just as in 1994 when some lake visitors were complaining about a fee to use the parks so it will be now with the implementation cc machines.

Last edited by a moderator:

TroyBoy30

you have no idea what type of agreement they have on these machines. they may have not have fees. If they do , that's on them, not us. the old boxes also had an issue with being robbed. the one at shoal creek was broken into about once a week. of course it doesn't affect me one way or the other. I use a private ramp.

fishmonger

Went to the Lanier Project Office today at 1:30 pm, gates locked. I thought the office was going to be open 7 days a week for passes? Argggggg!

FM

Possum

Banned
If I say to you......"Can I get a discount if I pay in cash instead of a credit card?", will you come through???????
Hah...of course you won't.
What does that have to do with anything? I take credit card because a lot of people don’t have the money for jobs and credit is the only way they can do a job. I know a lot of businesses that charge additional fees for credit card payments.

ThomasCobb123

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Ya`ll take the argument to a PM. Not here on the open forum.

Mr. Cobb, cool it and quit starting trash like this.

ThomasCobb123

Ya`ll take the argument to a PM. Not here on the open forum.
Mr. Cobb, cool it and quit starting trash like this.
Understood.
I've used the ignore feature and the delete feature.
TY

Last edited:

fishmonger

Went to the Lanier Project Office today at 1:30 pm, gates locked. I thought the office was going to be open 7 days a week for passes? Argggggg!

FM

In case anyone is wondering, the COE website now states that they stopped the 7 days/week office hours at the end of September. I take that as another government lie, as nowhere did they say that the extended hours (that was presented as the "trade" for losing the daily pay stations) were for a limited period of time.

FM

Latest posts