Mossy Oaks mini web series Seek-One (Hunt NOT for Charlie)

Tmpr111

I have hunted Alpharetta suburban bucks in years past. And guess what...they jump out of their skin at the first hint of human scent behind the houses. I thought the same thing at first...easy to kill cause everyday the smell and hear humans. WRONG! They bolted the instant they saw movement or detected smell.

———————

I won’t disagree and what a shame it can be to let deer walk only to never see them grow to their potential. Well said.

But as for the neighborhood/suburban deer and scent being a factor, I can’t agree with that one. That’s just part of adapting for these deer in these areas. AND ultimately the main reason for me as to why it’s not the same. Many of these deer are in and out of yards, next to pets, toys, heck even dryer vents at times... not doubting the time and clearly the “money” it takes to “seek” and pattern these deer, but scent is not nearly the concern it is elsewhere. Heck we watch these big bucks come near the patio and grill all the time in Sandy Springs at the in-laws... they don’t care.

bany

I’ve done plenty of urban observing the last couple years. I’ve let plenty of deer walk. I’ve messed around with some scents and no scent and so on. I also have a legal feeder situation in place.
What I have noticed is the deer are not as Wild as say a rural or mountain deer but they still obtain a “scent/danger” sense. I’ve watched as they totally freak out at some strange scent like tinks 69 even or human scent. I believe they associate smell with proximity. Sometimes if they can’t detect movement they calm down and carry on.
One deer this year was (apparently) mortality wounded and layed down at night and for 8 hours at a feeder and camera right by a house. So it must of felt somewhat safe there. I found it dead in the woods recently. Point is, if not threatened not running.
My feeling is that it was shot at a feeder next door. That feeling may be very wrong but? I know the bottom of it’s leg was all but off and it’s dead.
At any rate they do smell well and adapt to the environment. They may not have too much pressure but they are thriving.

Buck Dropper

If y'all are interested, they posted a four part series on Zeus. Kill video released tonight. It's up on Facebook & YouTube. Love these guys.

wks41

Just watched it all. Very well done. I wish those guys would post here more but I completely understand why they don't.

Biggest issue I saw from watching the Zeus video was after the shot they were worried about getting permission from the landowner where the buck ran to go retrieve it. What would have happened had permission not been granted? Seems difficult to go in and hunt these "tight" one or two acre areas where he has permission and keep a shot buck from running to other properties.
As far as the video the guys are great story tellers and produce a great video.

James12

After 4 years, Charlie’s video will be posted today by the Seek One crew. I hope those young and now older that fed him apples all those years aren’t going to see it.

He was a monarch around his home. Nothing wrong with shooting and thinning out suburban deer, but this one feels weird and not so sporty.

Ratrzcer1991

After 4 years, Charlie’s video will be posted today by the Seek One crew. I hope those young and now older that fed him apples all those years aren’t going to see it.

He was a monarch around his home. Nothing wrong with shooting and thinning out suburban deer, but this one feels weird and not so sporty.
Should have just went to the game ranch and shot one

James12

Lots of time and even money can go into finding these deer if you don’t know where they are - knocking on doors, and locating their travel corridors. But the ones around us, they’re not often spooked and don’t go too far if anywhere when we or the dogs get close. Outside of the rut, many of the regulars have remained for years now. I’ve hunted both suburbia and the country, it’s just different. But suburbia of course presents different challenges.

BornToHuntAndFish

Not posted yet, but will keep checking their Seek One Youtube channel. Thanks for the update.

EDIT UPDATE . . .

It's now uploaded on their Youtube channel "1 hour ago". Looking forward to making time to watch it.

Last edited:

buckpasser

I’m nowhere near Atlanta, but the premise of their show interests me. It also feels good knowing that hunters are “overcoming” the bland lifestyle of the urban masses. The only turnoff for me is the possibility of these targeted deer being a little less than spooky. If, in fact they are like Yellowstone elk and can be approached and prodded without consequence, the effort to get permission to deflate them doesn’t appeal to me. Also, having permission to archery hunt a little sliver of land isn’t really permission is it? You sorta need permission for enough ground for him to die on I’d think. Also, how would the call to an anti-hunter go for permission to recover? “I just poked a hole in one of the deer you said I couldn’t hunt by getting permission from your neighbor. It’s now laying dead in your backyard. You mind if I come over and grab him right quick? Thanks!” I’ll be open minded and watch a few episodes anyway.

James12

Well the state and insurance commission are clearly behind these extended seasons in the suburbs. It’s better than a family getting killed hitting one in a car.

Many argue that if that’s the case, then take extreme measures and have em removed in bulk.

As for the recovery and kill, that’s just part of it here in the burbs. These are still wild animals but there is a Cades Cove feel to some, no doubt.

Blackston

If it was so easy up thier everybody’s trophy room would look like that. Them boys got skills

buckpasser

If it was so easy up thier everybody’s trophy room would look like that. Them boys got skills

It seems that no one doing it is really saying it isn’t “easy” hunting. Just not easy to find a place to do the easy hunting on. Apparently that’s the non-easy part. Can you guess the word of the day? Easy, right?

Blackston

It seems that no one doing it is really saying it isn’t “easy” hunting. Just not easy to find a place to do the easy hunting on. Apparently that’s the non-easy part. Can you guess the word of the day? Easy, right?
?
EASY NOW