Stocking your land w/ Turkeys?

sowgabuckstalker

What the deal with this? A landowner near our farm (which just doesnt hold birds but see a few hear and there during deer season & the neighbors have birds) told me you can get them stocked? I wasnt aware? Or does he know what he is talking about? This is in South Georgia, Tift County to be exact. Thanks for any advice.

Gut_Pile

There is a lot more to it than just "having them stocked"

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m not sure if it was legal or not but up until I was about 14 or 15 the county I lived in (Coffee) didn’t have a turkey season, and I had a neighbor that had a big flight pen and supposedly he raised several hundred turkeys over a few years and released them around the county and it wasn’t long we had a very strong population , not sure how true this is but I know he did raise turkeys

The mtn man

You can buy eastern wild turkey poults from hatcheries like mcmurray. Not sure about the legality of raising them in a flight pen then releasing them, I guess if it's private property it wouldn't matter. Most hatcheries vaccinate too. That vaccination could theoretically spread disease to the remainder of the wild population. Not sure though.

Jeff Raines

Almost impossible for turkeys raised in pens to survive in the wild.They have not been conditioned to predators.

PappyHoel

If you want CWD in your turkeys

The mtn man

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw3TtU6cFT1sRzPxsMtk3xEw this hatchery is just one of many hatcheries that sale "wild turkeys". I've bought some before a good while back, they look exactly like eastern, except when pen raised, they act like pen raised turkeys. There was an older fella around lake chatuge that had a lot of tame turkeys, he died out and the turkeys went feral. There was no color difference between them and wild turkeys, they survived and thrived spreading out all over that area. So if you ever hear a turkey gobble around lake chatuge, chances are they are descendents from those tame turkeys 25 years removed.

wvdawg

Staff member
They offer same day drone deliver? :bounce:

If you order from Amazon and give them GPS coordinates the drones will drop them down right in front of you - just like fly down!