What's this tree?

Bucaramus

We are thinking Crabapple but there are a few that are ripe and they have the texture and smell of a grape. We have found several that evidently didn't produce the last couple of years probably due to a lack of rain.

Attachments

• 20180520_103831003.jpg
    20180520_103831003.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 1,076

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Chickasaw plum. We call em hog plums down here.

They make some of the best jelly in the world.

Bucaramus

Thanks Nic! What can we do to help them fruit year after year? Tree spikes? The ones we've found are along the road so there's no telling how many are on the 1000 acres.

JackSprat

make a really good jelly. definitely worth beating the deer to them

Look for seedlings and move them off the road. Spraying roadsides has really set the plums back,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, hog plum or American plum, likely. Could be Chickasaws but Chickasaw plums are usually bright red when they're ripe. Plums just naturally don't fruit heavily every year, in my experience.

oldfella1962

we have a lot of Chikasaw plums where I hunt - I think they get ripe around late June but I could be mistaken. They taste great though! Would be a good deer food source for hunting but the plums are long gone by September.

Forest Grump

we have a lot of Chikasaw plums where I hunt - I think they get ripe around late June but I could be mistaken. They taste great though! Would be a good deer food source for hunting but the plums are long gone by September.

They are early this year, because of early warm weather. I think those are Chickasaw’s, they are typically larger & earlier than the American plum. I saw a bush this week that was fairly loaded with ripening plums. They call them “hog plums” for a reason; anybody with a patch & a hankering to get some pork would do well to sit there an afternoon or 2...

Look for crabapples in late Aug to early Sept.

W4DSB

man i have eaten a ton of them things when i was young!

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Plumb jelly,
Not as good as muscadine but dang close!