North GA Deer Study

BornToHuntAndFish

Fyi...

attachment.php

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to what we learn from the study to hopefully help improve North Georgia whitetail populations.

:bounce:

BornToHuntAndFish

The mtn man

It just so happens that doe fawning season coincides with the time of year that there is basically zero forage for bears. This time of year there is nothing except greens, and bugs. Polk is not ready, no blackberries, in fact, the habitat that we have in the mountains does not typically support a great deal of berries anyway. Add that to the fact that there are tons of bear, fawns are easy to catch, and bears love to eat fawns, I'd bet a bear will eat every fawn it runs across. Also there have been too many does shot over the past 20 years.

bany

They can't eat the collars and they leave DNA.

I wasn’t insinuating anything about the study only a mans observation. As to say unless you witnessed the act of nature the perps would leave no trace.

tree cutter 08

It just so happens that doe fawning season coincides with the time of year that there is basically zero forage for bears. This time of year there is nothing except greens, and bugs. Polk is not ready, no blackberries, in fact, the habitat that we have in the mountains does not typically support a great deal of berries anyway. Add that to the fact that there are tons of bear, fawns are easy to catch, and bears love to eat fawns, I'd bet a bear will eat every fawn it runs across. Also there have been too many does shot over the past 20 years.

My thoughts exactly! When bear numbers went up, deer numbers started coming down.

Timberman

Everybody knows but won’t acknowledge the gorilla In the room-lack of early successional habitat. Put the NF on a 70-80 year rotation except for sensitive areas-problem solved-but many more problems exacerbated...it’s a people problem...

The mtn man

AliBubba

My thinking/assumption is that if the outcome of the project is positive, the same can be applied to other areas.

The mtn man

My thinking/assumption is that if the outcome of the project is positive, the same can be applied to other areas.

I sure hope your right, but times a wasting, we ain't getting any younger.

Dana Young

Old growth timber is the main problem . deer need browse . old growth timber doesn't provide mch . Its good for bear and hogs but not deer.

ripplerider

I sure hope your right, but times a wasting, we ain't getting any younger.

Exactly. First the project has to be completed. It will take years for deer numbers to rebound in those areas (hopefully they will, the project got watered down from it's original concept). Then the next project has to be proposed, meetings held with the public, etc. etc. It's a long drawn out process to improve habitat for deer in the mountains. We may never see the results ourselves. Maybe our kids will. I hope I'm wrong about this.

Mark K

Banned
I think most don’t understand the predator/prey relationship. Yes predators will hunt and kill prey, but I don’t think it’s the numbers people think. What predators do if they don’t make a kill is constantly harass the prey. If you are constantly harassed every time you wanted to have a little alone time with your significant other you’d never get to have that alone time. Hopefully most can follow this, lol.
Another problem I see is everyone will deer hunt, but not everyone wants to predator hunt. So as the deer are being killed by hunters and killed/harassed by predators, we end up with less deer and of course, more predators. Now I know I’ll get a lot of responses here on how I do this and I do that, but look at the number of deer hunters vs the number of predator hunters and you’ll get my point.
The only thing I see the State responsible for is timber management. I have no say or interest what goes through on up North, but down here they have adopted a Quail Management practice and honestly after one year I can see a difference in the areas they have implemented the practice.

The State has given us (hunters/sportsmen/women) the necessary means to control our population and they are working on the habitat portion...so what’s the problem? If you have low deer numbers take care of predators and shoot less deer. If you have too many deer...shoot more. I’ll shoot deer but I’m more into turkeys, so any nest raiders and other big predators are managed accordingly. Quit relying on the State to fix everything. Let them take care of the only part we can’t control...habitat.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I think most don’t understand the predator/prey relationship. Yes predators will hunt and kill prey, but I don’t think it’s the numbers people think. What predators do if they don’t make a kill is constantly harass the prey. If you are constantly harassed every time you wanted to have a little alone time with your significant other you’d never get to have that alone time. Hopefully most can follow this, lol.
Another problem I see is everyone will deer hunt, but not everyone wants to predator hunt. So as the deer are being killed by hunters and killed/harassed by predators, we end up with less deer and of course, more predators. Now I know I’ll get a lot of responses here on how I do this and I do that, but look at the number of deer hunters vs the number of predator hunters and you’ll get my point.
The only thing I see the State responsible for is timber management. I have no say or interest what goes through on up North, but down here they have adopted a Quail Management practice and honestly after one year I can see a difference in the areas they have implemented the practice.

The State has given us (hunters/sportsmen/women) the necessary means to control our population and they are working on the habitat portion...so what’s the problem? If you have low deer numbers take care of predators and shoot less deer. If you have too many deer...shoot more. I’ll shoot deer but I’m more into turkeys, so any nest raiders and other big predators are managed accordingly. Quit relying on the State to fix everything. Let them take care of the only part we can’t control...habitat.

The state has no control over timber management on the national forest. The Forest Service has trouble being proactive with timber management due to some groups that oppose timber harvest.