I got a stupid question......

Bam Bam

Get a Buddy Heater. They are great
(On and Off for the last three Deer Seasons) I have the Big Buddy Heater and a 8 person instant tent with queen size air matteress laying right in the middle! I sleep comfortable/warm in 20 to 30 degrees weather and have plenty of room to stand up and move around!!!!! I have used my smaller dome tent too!

godzilla

I camp all the time in the cold, a little buddy heater, a cot and a decent sleeping bag goes a long way. Camped last year and it got down to the single digits and the heater kept my 9 by 10 dome tent 65 degrees.

CabinFreak

I've been doing a good bit of winter camping lately and this year I've ran into an issue I can't figure out.I use a double layer air mattress along with my sleeping bag and a couple of fleece zip blankets.I usually put down one of the fleece blankets on top of the air mattress,then sleeping bag,then extra fleece blanket on top of sleeping blanket just in case I feel a chill at night.The problem I had this year was that between the fleece blanket and the air mattress has been getting soaked from body heat or condensation.The previous years I've used the same system with no problem.

If you have a good sleeping bag rated for the temps you're going to be in you will stay warm all night regardless of how cold it gets.I would also suggest the Mr Buddy heater.I can sit in my tent in a sweat shirt and shorts in 20 degree weather and have my Mr. Buddy heater cranked up and be comfortable,but I'm a freak so don't wear shorts in the winter like I do.I wouldn't suggest sleeping with a propane heater going but some people do it.

riprap

I've been doing a good bit of winter camping lately and this year I've ran into an issue I can't figure out.I use a double layer air mattress along with my sleeping bag and a couple of fleece zip blankets.I usually put down one of the fleece blankets on top of the air mattress,then sleeping bag,then extra fleece blanket on top of sleeping blanket just in case I feel a chill at night.The problem I had this year was that between the fleece blanket and the air mattress has been getting soaked from body heat or condensation.The previous years I've used the same system with no problem.

If you have a good sleeping bag rated for the temps you're going to be in you will stay warm all night regardless of how cold it gets.I would also suggest the Mr Buddy heater.I can sit in my tent in a sweat shirt and shorts in 20 degree weather and have my Mr. Buddy heater cranked up and be comfortable,but I'm a freak so don't wear shorts in the winter like I do.I wouldn't suggest sleeping with a propane heater going but some people do it.

I had my blow up mattress get soaking wet one time because I used a blow dryer to blow it up. We had the air turned down low in the cabin. My sleeping bag was soaked too. It didn't happen the next night after the temps evened out.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
WMA rules require quiet time in campgrounds from 10PM until 5 AM so a generator ain't gonna be allowed unless you are the only one in the campground.

Lots of good advice above about the buddy heaters.

dotties cutter

WHAT NOT TO DO. I have a friend who was to join other friends [5 of them ] on a mountain excursion but he missed his flight and was a day late. The other guys got cold during the night apparently and used a couple coleman lanterns to heat the tent. The tent was a heavy, good quality tent and the lanterns used the oxygen in the tent and smothered the 5 men inside. These guys were experienced and should have known better but had my friend not missed his plane he would have been gone with the other guys because he said he never would have thought this could happen and they had used lanterns in this way in the past. Just be sure any heat you use that involves a flame is tent safe as it could save your life.

Randy

I would just invest in warmer sleeping bags vs catalytic heaters or even generators and electric heaters/blankets.
Check out this video of a guy sleeping in a hammock at 1 degrees.

This is the guy who got me into Hammock camping. I will never sleep in a tent again as long as there are trees around. A top quilt and under quilt does me good down to and a little below freezing.

Artfuldodger

This is the guy who got me into Hammock camping. I will never sleep in a tent again as long as there are trees around. A top quilt and under quilt does me good down to and a little below freezing.

My daughter and I are seriously looking at that route. I can understand a father with younger children wanting a tent though. I would probably be too paranoid to sleep with any type of propane stove in a traditional tent.
I would thing a wall tent designed for a stove or teepee designed fro a fire would be ok with proper ventilation.

Artfuldodger

Body moisture removal in a tent is sometimes a problem.
I found this discussion but no answer:
Just wondered if any of you ever experienced condensation between your sleeping bag and pad. I always used a therma rest pad and never really had this problem. Recently I switched to a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. I love the pad as it is so much more comfortable than the Therma rest, but in the morning, the underside of my bag and the top of my pad is soaked. Any advice on how to remedy this? Thanks.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/93189-Sleeping-pad-condensation