Carp on the fly

615groundpounder

It wasn't my intended species for the day but...
When the striper where not cooperating and the carp were plenty to be seen! Why not target the carp for a little while. This makes the second carp now that I have caught using a Floyd color patterned Eflyz. What makes this catch even more cool was that it was caught using a fly reel that I had just recently finished building.

Permitchaser

Man I never heard of a carp eating a fly like that. I intend to try for them sometime using hairs ear or nymp

Was it a minnow patern

jettman96

Charlie Elliott PFA seems to be an excellent place to target Carp. They weren't my target species yesterday with my 5wt and 6lb tippet in the kayak. But I managed to hook one that bent my size 8 Gurgler then spit it out after about 5 minutes of fighting him.

About 10 minutes later and in almost the exact same spot, I hooked into the 26 1/4 inch beast below. 40 minutes later, he and I got to meet face to face. It was an awesome fight! I now know why people target these fish.

Biggest freshwater fish I've ever caught on the fly and/or in my kayak.

on the left was the first one that got bent

615groundpounder

Man I never heard of a carp eating a fly like that. I intend to try for them sometime using hairs ear or nymp

Was it a minnow patern

Yes it's a minnow pattern. Again, not really what you would expect to catch a carp on but this makes my second one with the Eflyz. Here is a picture of the one I caught a couple years ago.

615groundpounder

Very Cool Jettman 96! Yeah if you are to purposely target carp a heavier hook is needed. I have purposely targeted them a few times but that addiction hasn't set in just yet. Too busy chasing the stripey fish:D