What to buy

jigman29

Got a hundred bucks in amazon gift cards for Christmas and am thinking fly fishing stuff. I have plenty of rods and fishing gear and actually just bought a sling pack last year. Help me decide what would be good from amazon for the mountain fisherman. Was thinking about a geekpro camera as I have heard good things but still haven't decided. Thanks

Killer Kyle

I can't really think of anything if you're not really looking for gear. I myself want a really nice net. Like...a REALLY nice net. I don't have a single piece of expensive or even nice gear, and I really want something just...nice.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I'm like you. I already have everything I need to flyfish. If I had $100 to blow on flyfishing stuff, I'd probably get something I always put off, new line. I need it, my line is over 10 years old, but its performance hasn't declined enough for me to justify spending the money on new line.

$100 would buy you some new Scientific Angler Sharkwave.

jigman29

I'm like you. I already have everything I need to flyfish. If I had $100 to blow on flyfishing stuff, I'd probably get something I always put off, new line. I need it, my line is over 10 years old, but its performance hasn't declined enough for me to justify spending the money on new line.

Hadnt thought about that. Buy stuff I normally won't splurge on. New line, gink etc.

Killer Kyle

That's actually a really good idea. My rods are needing some new line too. Not bad advice!!
I might even get fancy and buy me a furled leader to try out on the speck water. Couldn't hurt!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have a good idea every once in a while.:rolleyes:

I'm actually getting back into tying flies after a lengthy hiatus. I know at one time, I had spent a few thousand bucks on tying materials. I started going through my stuff last week and kind of taking inventory of what I still had (and I what I still remembered stuff was even used for). I could easily blow $100 tonight on materials. Have you seen this UV activated head cement?

jigman29

I used to tie a lot but got burned out on it. I gave all my stuff to a buddy that wanted to get into it. Easily had a grans od more in it.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Wading staff would be on my list as someone just getting over back surgery. It would be good for me.

Killer Kyle

I have a good idea every once in a while.:rolleyes:

I'm actually getting back into tying flies after a lengthy hiatus. I know at one time, I had spent a few thousand bucks on tying materials. I started going through my stuff last week and kind of taking inventory of what I still had (and I what I still remembered stuff was even used for). I could easily blow $100 tonight on materials. Have you seen this UV activated head cement?

I've been using the UV cures for about a year now. Some of them are highway robbery, but it can also be done affordably. First and foremost, don't buy the flashlight from the Loon UV clear cure kits or Loon website. Their UV light sells for $20.00 - $39.99 on the website.

You can buy them as cheap as $5.99 or $7.99 from amazon.com like this one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Flashlight-V...&qid=1516299558&sr=8-8&keywords=UV+flashlight

The only reason Loon sells theirs for forty bucks is because it has their logo on it.
Buying one of these lights from amazon.com will cut your costs tremendously.
I wasn't on board back in the day when it really first became a popular thing. Clear Cure Goo was the only brand in town, and the pricing was outrageous. But, now that lots of companies are in the game, UV lights are cheap, and resin costs are down, I decided to give it a shot, and I have loved using the UV resins. Takes about 4-5seconds to harden the glue on the heads, eyes, thread wraps, backs, ect. No running or dripping into the hook eyes, or giving you unevenly shaped heads. I had a hard time with misshapen streamer heads when using old epoxy that I had to mix. My streamer heads nearly never turned out like I wanted them to.

carver

I've been reading (and watching videos) lately about people using a drop of super glue and sprinkling baking soda on it (makes a rock hard repair)there are a few you tube videos about it

swamppirate

Got a hundred bucks in amazon gift cards for Christmas and am thinking fly fishing stuff. I have plenty of rods and fishing gear and actually just bought a sling pack last year. Help me decide what would be good from amazon for the mountain fisherman. Was thinking about a geekpro camera as I have heard good things but still haven't decided. Thanks

Not sure if you can get this particular brand through Amazon, but I bought some of these waist high waders from Bean. Who needs stinking chest highs?

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/909...sp=f&attrValue_0=Shore Sand&productId=1513887

TheTroutWhisperer

If you fish a lot I think a good pair of wading boots are pretty important. Sierratradingpost has Korkers K-5 boots for 119. regular 200 bucks. Amazon may have the same deal.

Last edited:

Meriwether Mike

I love my Simms Taco for transporting my wet boots and waders.