Jon Boat on the Toccoa

olered

Hey guys just wondering if it would be possible to fish the Toccoa in a Jon boat. My girlfriends parents live in Mineral Bluff so it would be close to go hit it for the day and I have been aiming to take her dad for a while. I read that there is a boat ramp in Mccaysville, but I don't know the river well enough to know if its Jon boatable upstream of there.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
My buddy Toby has floated it many times from the dam to Curtis Switch Road. There was a ramp there and I believe it is still in use. I think it is pretty rough between Curtis Switch and McCaysville, so I don't know about a john boat that far down. If you do float between the Dam and Mineral Bluff, you may want to wear waders anyway because there are still some places you will have to drag the boat across and around some rocky areas. Again, I have never floated it, but that is what my fishing buddy says. I trust him, he's never let me down! Well except for the time he fixed me a mixed drink when I wasn't lookin! He believes, coke it just for color!:banginghe:bounce:

allenww

Tammen to Curtis is 6 hours plus fishing in a kayak - say ten.
Curtis to Horseshoe is a little longer.

Either would be ok in a jon, but a bunch of work in the shoals.

I would not do it for fun.

wa

When the world was real young, a buddy and I floated from Curtis Switch to Maysville. It's all day.

Not a bad float. I think we only had to drag a couple of times. Certainly nothing dangerous.

River gets sort of slack near McCaysville, battery was low, we were way behind, so we ended up paddling a way, and you know how much fun that is.

Still, it was one of our best adventures.

bowbuck

Be a bunch of fun with the water up some and a forty hp jet on the back. Still not sure about those fish traps though.