Flyfishing in Savannah Ga

I am what you call someone that is below a novice when it comes to Fly Fishing. But I am very interesting in trying it out. I have been Saltwater fishing for over 10 years now and I think it is time for me to get it a chance. So my question is, with the clearity of Savannah is it possible to still catch plenty of fish when fly fishing? A lot of the techniques people use around here is popping corks with live shrimp. Me personal I use all artifical anyways, usually electric chicken shads with a 1/8-1/4 jig head. In florida where I am from the water is so clear you can sight fish, so how would fly fishing be if I will not be able sight fish as well? Do not get me wrong there are times that you will be able to see of tailing reds and other species at low tide when the water is low.

Also if anyone has any recommendations for the type I should look into, I see the 8 weight is the starting pole to use for saltwater. Thanks in advanced!

Christopher

Randy

Yes you can catch them on the fly. Cast to normal fishing structure. Oyster beds, creek mouths, pilings etc.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wait for an outgoing tide when the flats are flooded. Fish any flat on the Ogeechee with a gold shrimp fly. Cast up into the grass and strip the shrimp out of the grass line. Hold on.

kirby999

I've used a 7 1/2 ' four weight and caught fish while fishing around Savannah . Caught seatrout and flounder . Best fly was a white cone head crystal flash wooly booger . Next was same in chartreuse .
Like Randy said , fish structure on the out going tide . Had good luck fishing the mouths of small tidal creeks . Any place current was coming out of the grass , I would cast . Kirby

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
In the winter, the reds school up in shallow water getting away from Flipper. They can be seen pushing water and if the sun's right, you can see the copper sides flash. Best time to look is low water. If you can find a dock with a light on it, trout will come up to feed on minnows. Sparsely tied Glass minnow flies work great on trout under the lights. Gil

fishndoc

One thing different (compared to fishing for mountain trout or even bass and bream) about salt water fly fishing: you really need the ability to lay out a booming cast. Maybe not every cast, but longer casts are gonna equal more fish at the end of the day.
If you are not able to cast consistently for distance and with reasonable accuracy, a casting lesson would really be helpful.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
One thing different (compared to fishing for mountain trout or even bass and bream) about salt water fly fishing: you really need the ability to lay out a booming cast. Maybe not every cast, but longer casts are gonna equal more fish at the end of the day.
If you are not able to cast consistently for distance and with reasonable accuracy, a casting lesson would really be helpful.

A tight loop is the ticket. One needs to be able to cast into the ever present wind and a tight loop accomplishes that. Don't leave home without a double haul, either. Gil