Triple Tail

Cumberlandjg

Whats the trick to triple tail in SE Ga? I see guides always catching them and folks say check behind buoys and pilons for them hanging in the current but I never see them. Whats the trick?

interested in this also. was trying to outrun a thunderstorm out of caberreta last year and saw one on a big wave finally got em in. weighed 8 lbs one heck of a fight.

Scallen2112

Right now it is a sight fishing game. Buoys come later in the year when it is hotter and they hang in the shade of them. Basically you just get out there and cruise around and look for them off of certain islands. The darn things are laying on their sides, floating on the top of the water :huh: for whatever reason. Spot 'em, get just close enough to cast out past them, then bring a cork with a live shrimp 6-9" under the water back past them. The trick is spotting the darn things.

Rob G

Tt

In the Savannah area the fisherman I talk to say to drift fish as many buoys as you can. Start in the sound and work your way out or vice versa depending on the current direction. They blind cast to the buoy. Float with a short leader and live shrimp is what they use. Personally, I tried this technique once and got nothing. However, one mid morning in early fall after we had limited out on trout my son and I decided to cruise the beach front. We saw a debris line and decided to cruise parallel to it. We saw TT along the debris line spaced out evenly (at least it seemed that way to me). Since we did not have any live bait left we threw DOA shrimp at them. They would look at the bait and dive below the debris line. Cool experience but did not hook one. I am going to try again this year.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Subscribing.
I have spent exactly one day looking for Tt around Jekyll Island and Saint Simon's sound. I saw 7 and was able to cast to three. Struck out each time.
I motored over to a well-known range marker known for triple tail and there were a couple of boats there fishing on the bottom. I may be wrong but I got the hunch that maybe they could be caught on the bottom also.
I caught my first and only in the Florida Panhandle. Sighted, and got to watch it eat. VERY exciting! Can't wait to get back for more.

Anvil Head

One of the tricks I learned is to work the light to your advantage so that you can see better further. Good sun glasses help out a lot. If you can get high in your boat you can see them further out. They will look like a Kroger's brown shopping bag drifting just under the surface. Learn to go with slightly lighter gear so you can cast further with more accuracy and from a further distance. They are easily spooked so the less motor work, even trolling motor, the better. If possible work the drift so that you will pass within casting distance. Cut down on noise and bright clothes as much as possible. Fishing as discussed above with live shrimp works best, just don't cast to tight to the fish, they have good vision.
Great eating fish and a real hoot on lighter gear.